making a pond for my dovii

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
ok so I have this male dovii in my 125 with several other fish. it is most likely going to get too big for the tank. I don't want to get rid of it I want to own up to it because eventually one day ill buy it a tank big enough. I was thinking of putting it in a Rubbermaid stock tank 150-300 gallons. I don't have room for another tank in the house and even if I did my parents would not allow it so I am considering doing this in my garage. the thing that concerns me is the temperature during the winter. I am in new York and it gets very cold at times. I will obviously put heaters in it but idk how that's going to work out. is the gap in tempature too much stress on the heaters or is it a do-able thing? please share your thoughts and opinions. thanks guys.

necro2269

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2013
thomaston maine
im in maine and thinking of a in ground heated pond as the temp gets - 10 to - 25 f heating will be an issue but i have a plan for 1 mine is going to be a 20'x20' 7' deep i can send u a rough outline plan if u like im most likely going to use heated water lines in sand or mud also heated submersible pond filters also love uv sanitizers and cover it with vents in winter

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
One word; insulation.

;)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Better choice. Most garages are unheated and sit on a slab over bare ground. They simply get very cold, plus minimal if any insulation is added in their building.

Basements are typically below ground and exposed to the earth not only underneath, but on all 4 walls. Since the earth is 57 F, while the air can get well below 0 F, the basement will stay much warmer than an unheated garage in the winter and cooler than an uncooled garage in the summer.

You also likely have access to more electrical outlets, faucets, drains, and lighting. My basement in Chicago (whew...I hate to remember how cold it got), would stay a bearable 55 F while it was -20 F outside.

Put the pond on top of something (like 2x4's all across the bottom) to get it 'off' the cold concrete (if that's what you have), since the air will act as an insulator and it will be much easier to heat.

Don't neglect to get a dehumidifier of you notice dampness around the tank. Humidity over 60% (iirc) can lead to mold.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
If I was going to put it the basement I`d buy a sheet of 2" foam insulation to put it on. Then get some 1" to do the sides even if the sides do not touch the stock tank, Just make it as close as you can. You can glue the foam board together with a low temp glue gun. Finally, figure out how to make a top for it that will allow lights, heater cords, etc and can be insulated with the 1" board. You will be amazed how little energy it takes to run it.

Another option might be to make a small insulated room in the garage and heat it with a space heater. It only has to be big enough for the tank. You can access it from the door. Use screws so you can disassemble it when you are done with it. That will give your Dad some false hope of it one day being taken down!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store