Making sure I do this right.

markymark642

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2022
I'm pretty new to this and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. Everywhere I go online I find different answers. Anyways, I am planning to put 2 blood parrots in my 75gallon tank along with 2 firemouths.
Will the grow too large and become cramped or is that a decent set up?
Thank for any help.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
A lot depends on how much swimming area is provided. Scape your tank in such a way as to allow territorial boundaries as well as creating open areas. Not an easy task.
Btw, it's been my experience that Firemouths do better in small groups rather than solo or pairs. IMO, A display of Firemouths & Swordtails would look pretty sharp.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I had, if I remember right, nine Firemouth in a 6ft 125gal. The males each staked a claim on some territory. The females in a group would swim around from territory to territory checking each one out and it's corresponding male.
Way more interspiecies goings on than I ever guessed for a fish considered "common"
20190621_213701.jpg20190621_213436.jpg20190621_213305.jpg20190621_213218.jpg20190621_213203.jpg20190620_203013.jpg

markymark642

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2022
A lot depends on how much swimming area is provided. Scape your tank in such a way as to allow territorial boundaries as well as creating open areas. Not an easy task.
Btw, it's been my experience that Firemouths do better in small groups rather than solo or pairs. IMO, A display of Firemouths & Swordtails would look pretty sharp.
Thanks for your reply.
I am kind of stuck on blood parrots. Do you think maybe 2 in a 75 gallon is maxed out? Or can I have a couple tank mates and if so, what do you recommend?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I think you will have room for tankmates. Although BP's can be aggressive, their bark is far worse than their bite.
Maybe a small to midsized Synodontis Catfish. If you don't like Swordtails, look at big, fastTetras, such as the Buenos Aires or Diamonds. Firemouths should work as well, but no less than three.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me a 75 will only be adequate as a grow out tank for those 4 cichlids.
If you do not plan an upgrade, stick to just two of the type you want.
And in nature FMs are shoaling species that prefer to live in groups of 4 or more of their own kind.
I believe eventually if the two FMs are kept with the BPs into adulthood, they will be shredded.

markymark642

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2022
I'm starting to rethink my entire set up. I want a cool larger fish as the "center price" then have some other colourful fish as well. Any stocking ideas for a 75 gallon?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m a big fan of my turquoise severum - gets to a good size, very personable, peaceful, and striking colors. It gets along fine in a 75 with various fish (including smaller cichlids). So long as tankmates aren’t too small to eat or mean enough to bother the sev it will get along fine. I actually had to move him from my tank of CA cichlids because he was getting harassed.
Geographically correct (or in the ballpark) tankmates would include bristlenose plecos and (larger bodied) tetras or silver dollars, all of which me sev has had no issues with.

Reactions: markymark642

markymark642

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2022
I’m a big fan of my turquoise severum - gets to a good size, very personable, peaceful, and striking colors. It gets along fine in a 75 with various fish (including smaller cichlids). So long as tankmates aren’t too small to eat or mean enough to bother the sev it will get along fine. I actually had to move him from my tank of CA cichlids because he was getting harassed.
Geographically correct (or in the ballpark) tankmates would include bristlenose plecos and (larger bodied) tetras or silver dollars, all of which me sev has had no issues with.
Thanks for the info.
It sounds like the wife is stuck on a pair of blood parrots. I just need to settle on a few smaller tank mates now... Choices choice. Ugh

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store