Malawi cichlids. (Load warning)

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
So this is going to eventually be a long set of posts.

I figure people might enjoy a little info about some of these African Cichilids.

So I propose that I will be taking a few photos of each of my fish, doing a 30-1 minute vid and writing up a quick summary about them. Of course this will take time but I enjoy doing this type of thing. IF you have more info or you have corrections please send me a PM and I will add it.

This is NOT just a post pretty pictures. If you wish to contribute your own I ask that you do the same deal where you write up something about the type of fish then you need a few pictures and then at least 1 vid.

Anyways lets pick some that I already have shots of. (4 for today... this takes more time then one would think)

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Protomelas taeniolatus, aka Red Empress

This Malawi Haplochromine (Hap) is one of my favorites. It tends to have an semi aggressive personality, often becoming the dominant fish in the tank. Usually they tend to color up at about 4 inches (males that is).

They will mate with anyone they can as can be seen in the vid. The max size is suppose to be ~9 inches but I haven't ever seen one that large yet. 1 male to 3 females is a good ratio for these fish.

I find that they are one of the hardest fish to get the correct coloring on any photo. While the photos do turn out great, they are not true to what the actual fish's colors are. (Which in this case are better looking than the photos.)

Pictures:

Vids:
With camera motion

Without camera motion

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Labidochromis caeruleus aka yellow labs, electric yellows

By far the most common African cichlid in the US. These are in fact one of the least common fish in lake Malawi. Wild caughts and F1/F2 can occasionally be found but I find that a tank bread one looks just as good as any F1, F2. These are very common in pet stores, but of course that means that they often have some other Malawi mix in them. (At least large chain store ones...)

But I can say that often they will develop black splotches on there face and such but this is comon even in F1/F2s. It is obvious why these little fish have become so popular and I don't feel I need to say too much. Besides ratios don't matter and no mater what some people say these fish are next to impossible to sex unless vented or of course they are holding... Oh and these fish tend to multiply very quickly. There is a reason why there are so many of them available for sale. Oh and usual max size ~5 inches. Plus these are really the only mbuna I would suggest putting in a hap/peacock tank.

Pictures:

Vid:
yellow lab

Aulonocara stuartgranti (Usisya), Flavescent Peacock

My favorite Peacock. This fish tends to mind its own business, though if you have multiple ones there likely will only be one with full coloring. (You can see what the sub dom looks like in the vid, ie silver with a little yellow ~16 secs into vid.)
Don't have much to say about the fish besides your classic peacock. Looks great, very peacefull, doesn't tend to do a whole lot. Max size ~6 inches.

Pictures:

Vid:
Usisya

Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania"

This gentile giant is a must have for any peacock/hap mix tank. Growing to about 10 inches (females ~6) but never being a bully, some people complain about it being bullied by their 4 inch red empress. Not much else to say but that if you have the tank space do yourself a favor and pick on up (or if you want more fin get one from Liuli).

This is a mid-water hap and I am fairly sure they school. But my only experience was that if I had more than 1 male the sub-dom will show next to now color but be more or less ignored. Obviously to see if they will school would take a very large tank. (And if anyone has an Spilonotus Likoma for sale, please please send me a pm.)

Pictures:

vid:
Spilonotus Tanzania

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Really nice thread..lets keep it going.. beautiful Malawi cichlids here!

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Cyrtocara moorii, aka Hap moorii, Blue Dolphin

This Hap is quite often the one that most people tend to remember when viewing my hap/peacock tank. Obviously with its hump it's appearance contrasts well the usual peacock/hap body shape. They tend to grow upwards of 9 inches, usually being relatively peaceful, mine quickly let the others know he was not to be bothered and since then he hasn't shown any aggressive tendencies. If you have the space and are looking for something different this is a very good choice. Though I bought mine at ~6 inches I hear they are slow to grow. The females are also blue, which of course is not the norm with peacocks and haps.

Pictures:

Vid:
Moorii

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Copadichromis borleyi (Mbenji)

A schooling hap, that is quite peaceful. Grows quickly and can grow very nice fins... But if you have them in a large tank those nice fins will quickly disappear.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't recommend getting one. They just don't have the wow factor that I want at least, or I should say that there great fins just wont last in any tank with say a red empress or ahli... There coloring really is a nice blue head and top fin, but the brown, well it is just brown with maybe a little gold hue that you can get on the camera.

But this is a very easy fish to keep so if you need a starter fish go ahead and get one. I mean they aren't bad fish, they just aren't as great as some of the others. (Remember this is all just my opinion so if you really like brown and blue go for it.)

Pictures:

Vid:
Copadichromis borleyi

Enough for today, I will likely be adding ~1 a day for a while. It all depends on how bored I get. Also note I am not including pictures of female. I don't have many and if you like the males and are interested in breeding you can look around for more on the females. Just remember it is the norm for females to have hardly any color.

If you want me to get more scientific then I can, but honestly I am just saying a few words about my experience and if I still think they are keepers after having them for over a year or more. I again repeat that these are my opinions and yours can be completely different. I know I find some fish ugly that others adore, but eh I like to say if I enjoy the fish or not.

And thanks for the kind comments.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
beautiful moori. as soon as i trade my wifes 29 for a 55, i'll get another. first three were pickin on my frontosa, had to go

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
Huh, any idea why the would bug the front so much?

Anyways to everyone. I do realize that there is a decent overview of many of the cichlids already stickied. But I felt just seeing more, ie the vids and such is a much better way to get a feel for what these fish look like. I can also say that obviously I am not giving too much info about the fish, just personal experience and if possible sizes. But I am giving links to where you get get a little more info.

That being said all the fish I will be/am showing are in tanks that are well filtered and weekly water changes. PH is solid at 7.8, with a buffer and salt added to the water. (Atlanta water is actually way too soft for africans.)

I hear a bunch of arguments for treating tanks in certain ways. I do us an UV fitler on my 135 because I have it and I find it cuts down on any problems. (IE after putting it in I haven't had any.)

I presume you all know this but I feel that the key thing to keeping these fish happy is to just be consistent. IE your PH can be off, but don't let it swing all over the place, hardness really doesn't matter a huge amount, but again it makes life easier. IE if I were not to add the buffers and salt my water starts at 7, and over a day drops to 6, and a week to 5. (IE no KH, GH) But if I put in a certain amount of buffer it just sits.

And what else. Well food wise I use NLS, and brine shrimp. And sometimes some flaked food for the yellow labs, of course I really don't know why I keep feeding those fry.

And that is about all the advice I will give. If you have questions on any of the fish I post feel free to send me a PM or post it here.

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
Sciaenochromis fryeri aka, Hap Ahli, Electric Blue

Easily the most popular Hap, the Fryeri is a show stopper in any tank. Because of name changes over time people sometimes still refer to it as the Sciaenochromis ahli, or ahli, but it should be stressed that this fish is by no means an Sciaenochromis ahli. I personally still refer to it as an ahli, which is what most people will recognize for its name, but be warry about using even this term since for some odd reason one can insite an many post burn section when we all are refering to the same fish.

Anyways a little about the fish. Its color as anyone can see is spectacular, with the traditional bright blue body with red and white fins. But depending on what area/line bread colors now greatly very. One can find the "iceberg" veriaty that is completely white, or the ob which while more comon in orange/black splotchs, a white with blue and black can be found (my personal favorite fish). There are other varieties about and I am sure new ones will be continueing to pop up.

I would say that this fish is about the same agressive level as an red empress. I must say that for me at least they still aren't agreesive to keep with many mbuna (ie I can't even keep mine with zebras), but again these fish are one of the most active haps I have had.

There tails can grow gorgously, just don't be surprised when they are nipped down a little with a friendly domestic dispute.

That said they tend to stay around 7 inches, growing fairly fast to the 4 inch mark. They also color up very quickly and you can have multiple ones with full color.

Again there is an obvious reason why they are so popular. (And remember if you have a female of any type of Malawi these males very well might be able to find some way to mate with them. It is crazy to see how hard they will try.)

Anyways pictures:

Vid:

Sciaenochromis fryeri, large amount of motion...

Copadichromis sp. "Virginalis Gold"

I almost didn't post this fish but I figure it needs to be mentioned. Now for me I am always trying to find a different looking fish to stick in my tank, and I feel this is one that is more often then not overlooked. Personally I feel a little silver adds to a tank, but if that isn't your thing than avoid it.

Mine I still can't tell sex, bought 1 at 2" was given 2 since sex was unknown (still don't know for sure since females get a little gold to from what I hear and mine have a little gold, but fins are very rounded right now).

So these guys grown slow, and when I say slow I mean oh so very slow, ~1 inch in 1 year for me (from 2 to 3 inches). They are only suppose to max at ~5 inches.

Again just a fish that I think is too often ignored, but do yourself a favor and at least look into it more the next time you have the chance.

Anyways pictures: (For better pictures see the link above)

Vid:
Copadichromis sp. "Virginalis Gold"

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
This is wonderful ..keep them coming and love the discribtions you give for all of the pics ..we appreciate it..

malawi haps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2007
south carolina
Awesome Idea will possibly add to this thread in the near future if that's ok with you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store