Malaysian trumpet snails

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
They've infested my planted tank since my pea puffer died, (spiked the ph messing with ferts). When he was alive I would never see snails but knew they were in there, almost self sustaining. I really need to get another...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I used to have MTS before I got my natives, the darters, the sunfish and the bullheads LOVED them! Now I have no MTS population in the native aquarium but only 6 adults in one gallon tank with zebra mussels and a ghost shrimp.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
What's the hype about them rebreeding really fast? I had mine in a week or more, so explosive growth....
Hello; It will take more than a week or few to see a noatable increase in population. They are livebearers and the fry are quite small and not easy to spot. They also will be burrowed in the substrate much of the time and thus out of sight. I have gravel and from time to time will see the gravel move from a MTS burrowing about. The best time to see a number of them is when the lights first come on after being off overnight.

The population can be controled pretty much by the amount of food available. In the past I was bad to overfeed and had a huge population in tanks. I would see multitudes of them about during the lit period with even more in the gravel. There were so many that they would get into the filters and stop the impellers from time to time. Without the MTS + ramshorn snails and live plants my tanks would have likely gone sour in a short time.
Now they are pretty much under control and remain at a reasonable population number. I skip one or two days of feeding each week with lighter feeding amounts. The tanks stay in better condition and the fish do fine.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Those are cool lookn I have nassarius snails that do that in my reef tank

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
+1 for MTS snails. I was bad for overfeeding one of my tanks and they appeared. I've now been grabbing a few at water change time and spreading them through all my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store