Male Blue Convict? PICS

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
This is my Male Blue Convict, he's Paired to a Pink a Convict.

Free Swimmers look like standard Cons!?!

Anyone with experience here know if the Babies develop color as the mature?

image.jpeg

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
HRP

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
This is my Male Blue Convict, he's Paired to a Pink a Convict.

Free Swimmers look like standard Cons!?!

Anyone with experience here know if the Babies develop color as the mature?

View attachment 1165017
As I understand you are working with a recessive gene, along the same line of albino and leucistic. I too am trying to breed Pinks, but unless the male is heterozygous for Pink, you will not have any VISUAL Pinks. I will go ahead and break it down how genetics work, we will begin with the simplest, dubbed "Line-bred" - the term may vary but in the reptile trade it commonly refers to...
LINE-BRED EXAMPLE:
A.)an abnormally bright RED individual from a clutch of others that don't necessarily display this for the coloration
+
B.)an abnormally colored bright YELLOW individual from any clutch;
By breeding these 2 together, the offspring will be somewhere in the middle of contrast on the "color wheel spectrum", most likely the offspring will be

C.) ORANGE (RED + YELLOW = ORANGE)

DOMINANT GENE EXAMPLE:
Because I don't know Dominant/Incomplete Dominant traits in fish, I will use Ball Pythons as an example:
A.) a parent SPIDER morph being bred to a

B.) parent PINSTRIPE morph will produce mixed offspring as BOTH sets of genetics will produce VISUAL results every generation. DOMINANT genes do NOT have a Heterozygous form.

C.) Offspring will be some SPIDER, some PINSTRIPE and a percentage will also likely be the COMBINATION of BOTH VISUAL TRAITS, commony called "SPINNER" (SPIDER/PINSTRIPE).
There is always a chance for NORMAL offspring regardless of parents and the percentage of VISUAL MORPHS BASED ON THE CLUTCH SIZE will vary. The percentage SHOULD be 50% SPINNER, however the basis goes by increments of 32, unfortunately, so unless 32 eggs are laid, it can vary greatly.
In a perfect world, out of 32 eggs, 16 SHOULD be SPINNERS, 8 SHOULD be SPIDER and the other 8 SHOULD be PINSTRIPE. Since very few snakes lay anywhere NEAR 32 eggs, you just have to wait and see.

INCOMPLETE DOMINANT GENE EXAMPLE:
A.) All rules of DOMINANT apply, however added to the mix is the SUPER-GENE.

B.) PASTEL, an INCOMPLETE DOMINANT trait when bred together produce what is known as a SUPER-PASTEL. This morph is a highly colorful variant of the original PASTEL morph, but when

C.) a SUPER-PASTEL is bred to anything it makes PASTEL visible in ALL offspring, regardless of the other parent. For example a SUPER-PASTEL bred to a SPIDER will produce BUMBLEBEES. A SUPER-PASTEL bred to a normal will turn all offspring PASTEL

RECCESSIVE GENE EXAMPLE:
A.) ALBINO parent bred to ALBINO parent yields all ALBINO offspring. ALBINO is a VISUAL RECESSIVE, therefore when breeding VISUAL RECESSIVE to anything, the offspring of that clutch is 100% guaranteed to CARRY the ALLELE for ALBINISM., i.e. Heterozygous for Albino

B.) an ALBINO parent bred to a HETEROZYGOUS for ALBINO parent will also yield Albino offspring, just a lower percentage. Because a VISUAL RECESSIVE was used, the offspring that LOOK normal will still be 100% Heterozygous for Albinism.

C.) HETEROZYGOUS for ALBINO parent bred to a HETEROZYGOUS for ALBINO parent will also produce about HALF of the clutch ALBINO, HOWEVER, because there was no VISUAL RECESSIVE parent, the offspring that LOOK normal will only be what we call 66%-Het. for Albino. In other words, each offspring possess a 66% chance of passing on the ALLELE carrying the ALBINO gene.
Finally,

D.) VISUAL ALBINO parent bred to a NORMAL parent, the offspring will ALL LOOK NORMAL, however, again, as a VISUAL RECESSIVE was used, the offspring will simply ALL be 100% heterozygous for Albino.

E.) HETEROZYGOUS for ALBINO parent bred to a NORMAL parent will produce NO Albinos, and the offspring will be 50% Het. for Albino. Like the 66%'ers, these babies have a 50% chance of passing on the trait for Albinism.

In closing, My advice to you, is either get a male Pink instead or find a male that had at least ONE PARENT that was Pink if you want to produce Pinks. As of current time, your parent fish will only produce NORMALS that are 100% heterozygous for Pink, so you would need another generation to produce VISUAL RECESSIVES with those babies.

Questions?

jpcampbell123 jpcampbell123 - Do you have anything to add to this, Bro?

Last edited:

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Is trying to get pink convicts out of blue ones?

Are hrp their own species yet?

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ

I was aiming more for Blue Convicts, or Possibly Pinks. I didn't realize that the "Blue Convict" I have was an HRP and after doing some Google Image Searches I'd have to concur.

So I have Male HRP and Female Pink Convict Hybrids.

Yay....

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

probably a sub-species. I can't even tell the damn difference

I was aiming more for Blue Convicts, or Possibly Pinks. I didn't realize that the "Blue Convict" I have was an HRP and after doing some Google Image Searches I'd have to concur.

Yay....
It doesn't matter what species or sub-species. The genetics still hold true. Everything I said applies whether they are convicts, HRPs, hybrids, whatever.

Get a Pink mate for your Pink or a mate who had a Pink parent. Forget species and sub-species. it will just confuse you at this point.

I have 2 Hets. for Pink/.....

they look like regular convicts, but father was pink, mother was normal so going by the rules of genetics, my pair is WHAT PERCENTAGE HETEROZYGOUS FOR PINK?

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
probably a sub-species. I can't even tell the damn difference

If I want to try for the Blue Convict HRP then I'd ditch the Pink Con, go grab a batch of the "Blue Convict" HRP and see if my Boy pairs off with one?

I keep saying Blue Convict because this is what my LFS has them selling as

It doesn't matter what species or sub-species. The genetics still hold true. Everything I said applies whether they are convicts, HRPs, hybrids, whatever.

Get a Pink mate for your Pink or a mate who had a Pink parent. Forget species and sub-species. it will just confuse you at this point.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

Yay....
sorry, I edited, refresh page, bro

LOL sidenote....when I type in caps, I'm not "Yelling", I use it to highlight important stuff, key words, etc.

If anyone has taken offense, please don't :)

Reactions: Mavrick813
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store