• MALE

• FEMALE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I was so sure Demps was a female due to the coloration! Dang, I'm new at this so it's all a blur when it comes to the compact/continuous color vs the not continuous/ spotted coloring. Such different variation of this are out there it's so hard to tell! 🤯 But I do see what you mean about the concaved head and snout. Your comparison picture really was a huge help! Thank you!
Just wondering how big/ old is your JD? When I received mine he was maybe 3inches and has grown an inch or two. The pictures in my gallery are from September-ish. I'll add a couple new ones just so you guys can see his growth.
Again, Thank you. I appreciate your help and information. I have Soo many questions! I'll be adding a few more posts, hope to hear from you again!
I got mine at 1/2 inch in November 2019. Dempseys naturally aren’t super fast growers, but mine grew abnormally slow for the first 2 years (largely due to my own poor care) getting about 3-4 inches. Once I stepped up in care he hit a growth spurt and doubled in size in a few months. Since hitting about 7 inches he slowed down, and is 8-9 now.
About the coloration..... I was noticing on my pictures that Demps can go from light with faint "sparkles" to dark with very vibrant "sparkles" why is that? I know it's not stress, when he's stressed the coloration is very different. He gets dark in color and the "sparkles" are not vibrant. Is that what some people refer to as "mating dress"..?
Sorry I'm adding questions galore, I'm picking your guy's collective brain as much as you'll allow! 😁
Sounds like that coloration. Mine goes through being grayish and jet black (usually keeping the blue the whole time), depending on his mood. Most of the time is gray. They will also change color to camouflage. When the surroundings are light, they will go light and vice versa.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store