Male to female ratio in SA/CA cichlids

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
are there typically more or less of one sex; Are their typically more females or males born in a given spawn, or is everything completely random. Just something that I have been wondering. because I'm still planning for the tank upgrade. Depending if I choose to lets say buy 3 Green terror babies whats the probability that I would get a male, or even better a pair?
( off topic but I've narrowed down upgrade options)
if 90g
1. Managuensis, Dithers
2. Green Terror, Dempsey, dithers
3. Oscar, Dempsey
4. GT pair + Dither

if 75g
1. Green terror, Dempsey ( NO dither)
2. Green terror pair
3. Oscar, Dithers

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Generally one male and one female for the above fish. I have heard of trios spawning, however I don't recommend it.

If the second female isn't accepted by the spawning pair, it will likely be attacked and killed. I personally would only try it in a large tank (180+).

Reactions: Americancichlids

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
Generally one male and one female for the above fish. I have heard of trios spawning, however I don't recommend it.

If the second female isn't accepted by the spawning pair, it will likely be attacked and killed. I personally would only try it in a large tank (180+).
I was vague, If I got a pair I would get rid of the other one lol! I would specifically be looking for a male GT and buy a group of 3! I think the odds would be good. But I've never gotten a group before. That said in all if I decide not to get a Jaguar or Oscar! but do you have any idea about Male to Female ratio?

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I was vague, If I got a pair I would get rid of the other one lol! I would specifically be looking for a male GT and buy a group of 3! I think the odds would be good. But I've never gotten a group before. That said in all if I decide not to get a Jaguar or Oscar! but do you have any idea about Male to Female ratio?
Sorry, I read the question wrong lol. I need a coffee..

Not that I am aware of, it seems to be a fairly even split of sexes. Most people recommend buying 6 juvies and growing them out. Once a pair is formed, sell the leftovers.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think mathematically the odds are around 50% either or because you only have two options.
Now unless you have statistics on male/female ratios hatched per species the numbers can change. But with the given information 50% is the expected probability.

DBLN8

Dovii
MFK Member
if 90g
1. Managuensis, Dithers ---- 90 gl tank is not big enough for an adult jag (male)
2. Green Terror, Dempsey, dithers ---- GT or JD with dithers will work better.
3. Oscar, Dempsey ---- Oscar solo wet pet.
4. GT pair + Dither ---- IMO tank is to small for a pair and why add dithers they'll just get whacked when the GT's spawn

if 75g
1. Green terror, Dempsey ( NO dither) ---- pick one
2. Green terror pair ----see above
3. Oscar, Dithers[/QUOTE] ---- Oscar solo wet pet.

Both tanks are 48" x 18" why jam 2 fish into a tank when you can give 1 fish a great home? none of the fish mentioned above need "room mates or friends" if you add more than that it's for your benefit not the fish.
As far as the amount of males vs females in a spawn I have no idea.

Just my 2 cents on the question asked.

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
if 90g
1. Managuensis, Dithers ---- 90 gl tank is not big enough for an adult jag (male)
2. Green Terror, Dempsey, dithers ---- GT or JD with dithers will work better.
3. Oscar, Dempsey ---- Oscar solo wet pet.
4. GT pair + Dither ---- IMO tank is to small for a pair and why add dithers they'll just get whacked when the GT's spawn

if 75g
1. Green terror, Dempsey ( NO dither) ---- pick one
2. Green terror pair ----see above
3. Oscar, Dithers
---- Oscar solo wet pet.

Both tanks are 48" x 18" why jam 2 fish into a tank when you can give 1 fish a great home? none of the fish mentioned above need "room mates or friends" if you add more than that it's for your benefit not the fish.
Just my 2 cents on the question asked.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your input! I really do have an eye for those Oscars though:p, but IMO I think a 75g is fine for a green terror pair, or a GT with dithers, but the bigger the better. But, hoping I can find a 90 on Craigslist for a good price, thats what I'm aiming for

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When acquiring cichlids to eventually get a breeding pair, I try to get as many as I can afford at the moment, let them grow up together, and pair off naturally.
The more you get, the better chance a simpatico pair will develop.
I also try to keep as many females on hand as possible, the tendency of males to kill their partners at any point in time is well known, even when they seem compatible.
If I can get 10 or 12, I do it, but preferably more.
The last time I picked up Astatheros rostratum, I bought 15 juvies to grow out.
There are many environmental factors such as temp (a few degrees one way or the other can influence a majority males or females ) , pH (a few degrees more acid, the ratio is skewed) and other factors are known to alter sex ratios.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store