Mangrove Jack and Jungle Perch feeding underwater video

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice,that jack is colored up nicely.I've had one in the past but it didnt get the red coloring,is thst pond fully freshwater?

CairnsLocal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2008
Australia
thanks yeah fully fresh. A lot of people seem to think Jacks need salt but they don't. In nature they migrate to offshore saltwater reefs in maturity however they don't need salt to survive (and thrive).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's good and I realize that is a pretty big pond but is there any aggression from the jack toward the other fish?...They have a rep for being mean and nasty and mine sure lived up to it.

CairnsLocal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2008
Australia
The Jack isn't outwardly aggressive towards the other fish however they do stay out of his way. He's clearly the boss of the pond. I've got a fair bit of structure in the pond including water lillies and tree branches for hiding places and I find it helps that they're not all bunched in together.

Also when the Jack went in he was the smallest so he's grown up with the other guys. Maybe that has something to do with it. I think if I put a smaller fish in there now the Jack wouldn't play nice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store