Mangrove Jack

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
i dont think they're available to anyone outside of australia... are they?
If you are talking about Mangrove Jacks they surely are available outside of Australia... A friend of mine used to own one here in Hong Kong, and have heard of other people having kept them in countries outside Australia...

julnj2

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
Tampa Bay, FL
Smh... They're totally different species... The most common snapper referred to as a mangrove snapper in Florida is the grey snapper lutjanus griseus although several other are also found in near fw like 2-7ppt seawater synagris, schoolmaster etc. The ones they're talking about the mangrove jack is lutjanus argenmaculatus. Yes in Asia and the U.S. they're often called red datnoids. Very misleading name haha. They're available not very frequently but they do come around at least once a year. I got one gave it to a friend to grow out but he killed it :/ very cool fish I was looking forward to him becoming a big monster
SMHHarder, that someone from Michigan would rudely correct me on anything about saltwater fish, yes you are slightly right, both Mangrove Snapper and what our Aussie Friends call a Mangrove Jack are two different but very similar species. Both share identical habits and BOTH commonly show up in the commercial fish trade. With the Mangrove Snapper lutjanus griseus showing up most commonly here in the US trade as the "Red Datanoid" due to outragous shipping costs on getting the Mangrove Jack to our market. Next time maybe a little humility is in order on how you respond as an "expert".

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It has been quite a few years since I have seen any but some shops here used to bring in the Australian Lutjanus argentimacalatus and actually label them as red finned datnoids.It is easy to see why judging by the appearance of the juvenile fish in the photo below but it is wrong .I remember correcting a shopkeeper about the false labeling.
MFK vendor Wes of Rare Fish brought some in a few months ago as well as Lutjanus griseus.
images (4).jpg

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
SMHHarder, that someone from Michigan would rudely correct me on anything about saltwater fish, yes you are slightly right, both Mangrove Snapper and what our Aussie Friends call a Mangrove Jack are two different but very similar species. Both share identical habits and BOTH commonly show up in the commercial fish trade. With the Mangrove Snapper lutjanus griseus showing up most commonly here in the US trade as the "Red Datanoid" due to outragous shipping costs on getting the Mangrove Jack to our market. Next time maybe a little humility is in order on how you respond as an "expert".
Lmao what??? So just because you're from Florida automatically makes you more knowledgeable on people in Mi and other places on saltwater fish??? Ok lmfao...

He's from Australia asking about mangrove jacks and you're saying "there's nothing mysterious about them we catch them here In the hundreds" lmao you're obviously ignorant and finally did some research when I corrected you. Smh at "slightly right" lol.... They are slightly similar but DEFINITELY not the same... Which is why I corrected you lol

Yes I came off too harsh but I can't stand false info getting passed around... It's basically why no one keeps brackish fish (or fish people think are fully sw like Panther grouper, S&S puffers etc) in near fw like me. Too much false info going around...

This is just a hobby and we should enjoy it. There's no need to get so worked up about it. I corrected you on the species. just move on this post is from 2005 too anyways haha so it's really not relevant besides if people use the search bar here and look for info on L. Argentimaculatus and see your post and get confused because Griseus and argentimaculatus are 2 different species lmao...

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Lmao what??? So just because you're from Florida automatically makes you more knowledgeable on people in Mi and other places on saltwater fish??? Ok lmfao...

He's from Australia asking about mangrove jacks and you're saying "there's nothing mysterious about them we catch them here In the hundreds" lmao you're obviously ignorant and finally did some research when I corrected you. Smh at "slightly right" lol.... They are slightly similar but DEFINITELY not the same... Which is why I corrected you lol

Yes I came off too harsh but I can't stand false info getting passed around... It's basically why no one keeps brackish fish (or fish people think are fully sw like Panther grouper, S&S puffers etc) in near fw like me. Too much false info going around...

This is just a hobby and we should enjoy it. There's no need to get so worked up about it. I corrected you on the species. just move on this post is from 2005 too anyways haha so it's really not relevant besides if people use the search bar here and look for info on L. Argentimaculatus and see your post and get confused because Griseus and argentimaculatus are 2 different species lmao...

julnj2

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
Tampa Bay, FL
It has been quite a few years since I have seen any but some shops here used to bring in the Australian Lutjanus argentimacalatus and actually label them as red finned datnoids.It is easy to see why judging by the appearance of the juvenile fish in the photo below but it is wrong .I remember correcting a shopkeeper about the false labeling.
MFK vendor Wes of Rare Fish brought some in a few months ago as well as Lutjanus griseus.
View attachment 1155305
Yeah they def get crossed in the hobby, griseus is very common where I live. I have had hundreds of them under my dock before. They very common here in Fla, I chuckled one time when I saw one labeled a "Red Datnoid" for $35 at a large fish store in Tampa. I asked the owner about it and his response was "yeah I know thats just a juvi Mangrove Snapper but someone from up north will buy it, lol" nd sure enough within a week someone did. Some of our fish store guys will sell you a bridge if youre buying. I also just saw an Asian Swamp Eel for sale, when I talked to the shop owner he said a guy caught it in a drainage canal and brought it in. Florida is crazy, earlier this summer we were pushing walking catfish off the driveway and into the storm sewer, so we could back the car out.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Clarias?.....what were they doing on your driveway.

julnj2

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
Tampa Bay, FL
Very heavy rains drove them out of the lake behind my house and into the street and driveway. They are horrible in a tank they bite and shed just about any other fish you put them with. Very cool looking though. I love the oddballs.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Very heavy rains drove them out of the lake behind my house and into the street and driveway. They are horrible in a tank they bite and shed just about any other fish you put them with. Very cool looking though. I love the oddballs.
Yeah,I heard that they can be pretty nasty towards other fish.They might be tasty though.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store