Mantilla Rays?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Honestly like any ray it can all depend on how they eat. But my adult female is 15 inches now at 3 years. She stayed around 9-10 inches for a long time and only gained the last bit of girth in the last while. Overall her growth is slow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Great information and pics!

Yours look very similar to the bottom 2 adult pics Kevin and that pup of yours...nice.

Too bad WC Mantilla are no longer imported.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
They Pop up... Aquascape got a coupe this year and ECSZ gets them but makes up his own funny names.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Honestly like any ray it can all depend on how they eat. But my adult female is 15 inches now at 3 years. She stayed around 9-10 inches for a long time and only gained the last bit of girth in the last while. Overall her growth is slow.

Do you think she will continue to grow? What are your expectations on size?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Do you think she will continue to grow? What are your expectations on size?

From my experience all rays grow fast to 12" in the first 2 years then all slow down
I would expect the same from mantilla

That said I haven't seen many

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I was told that a female mantilla will max out around 16". Can anyone confirm? Can they be kept in a 30" tank?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Truth is nobody can tell you what they will actually max out as because each ray is individually different during growth and development. I honestly play it as any type of ray in the marble Leo mantilla Henlie motoro pearl castexi or others can hit only say 15-17 inches ish, or stay even smaller like the mini marbles and I have a mini male mantilla. 9.5 inch breeder, but also at the same time they might very easily hit 24 inches. In my opinion mantilla grow slow and don't get super big but is it possible to get one that hits big of course. I can remember seeing a few breeders in other countries that were 24 inches or bigger.

A 30 inch tank will be plenty for a long long time or forever.just never know till you get 3-4 years down the road.

I was told that a female mantilla will max out around 16". Can anyone confirm? Can they be kept in a 30" tank?

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Truth is nobody can tell you what they will actually max out as because each ray is individually different during growth and development. I honestly play it as any type of ray in the marble Leo mantilla Henlie motoro pearl castexi or others can hit only say 15-17 inches ish, or stay even smaller like the mini marbles and I have a mini male mantilla. 9.5 inch breeder, but also at the same time they might very easily hit 24 inches. In my opinion mantilla grow slow and don't get super big but is it possible to get one that hits big of course. I can remember seeing a few breeders in other countries that were 24 inches or bigger.

A 30 inch tank will be plenty for a long long time or forever.just never know till you get 3-4 years down the road.

Great input. This is exactly what I have gathered from the various threads, articles, etc. I have a male and a female coming in from a tank deal and I was going to sell them, but I have decided to keep them in my 240. I cannot find much information on them at all and look forward to documenting their growth and habits. I think any information regarding the Mantilla may be helpful in the future. Thanks Didysis. Much appreciated everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store