Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
10-20ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Prazi pro, metro plex, copper green, and everything else under the sun it seems like that I’ve used to try and cure the flashing. I’ve talked to a couple LFS owners who are stumped by it and told me if the fish are eating and active just to live with it. Sorry, but that’s sort of like telling a dog owner whose dog has seizures throughout the day just to live with it.
If I can’t resolve it soon I may just break the tank down and sell/start over. This has been going on for well over 6 months now. I usually try to give the fish a break after medicating.

Tank is a 56 gallon marineland grow out tank with AC110 and Fluval 306. I’m ready to buy a 125 gallon but cannot justify moving up only to then have to treat a 125 gallon tank instead of the 56 gallon.

Fish are 3 Blue Zaire Frontosas 4-5”, 7 Clown loaches 3-4”, and 1 bristlennose Pleco. I bought all fish as babies besides 1 large clown loach 6”. I’m not sure which batch of fish brought on the issue but I’ve seen them all flash but the Pleco.
Help! Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Prazi pro, metro plex, copper green, and everything else under the sun it seems like that I’ve used to try and cure the flashing. I’ve talked to a couple LFS owners who are stumped by it and told me if the fish are eating and active just to live with it. Sorry, but that’s sort of like telling a dog owner whose dog has seizures throughout the day just to live with it.
If I can’t resolve it soon I may just break the tank down and sell/start over. This has been going on for well over 6 months now. I usually try to give the fish a break after medicating.

Tank is a 56 gallon marineland grow out tank with AC110 and Fluval 306. I’m ready to buy a 125 gallon but cannot justify moving up only to then have to treat a 125 gallon tank instead of the 56 gallon.

Fish are 3 Blue Zaire Frontosas 4-5”, 7 Clown loaches 3-4”, and 1 bristlennose Pleco. I bought all fish as babies besides 1 large clown loach 6”. I’m not sure which batch of fish brought on the issue but I’ve seen them all flash but the Pleco.
Help! Thanks
I suggest stop the meds and increase your water changes gradually. Also weekly would be better than biweekly 20-30 isn't enough. Your Nitrate level may also be higher.
What type of water dechlorinator used.

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan
If you were using both at the same time during wc's. Use only one and hopefully that helps.
No, I only use one. Just wanted to illustrate what i have used up until this point. One series of medication stated not to use prime with its dosage so I ordered the other and started using it. Flashing occurred with either so I don’t think that’s the variable.

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan
Could be stress, too. 56 isn't much for territory even for those fish as juvies.
You know this is a very fair and valid point that I have considered. I’m just extremely concerned about moving up to a 125 gallon tank because the dosage/cost goes up exponentially is all. I really wanted to get this squared away first but I’ve also heard of stress inducing the illness that leads to the flashing to begin with. 🤷🏻‍♂️

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan
Could be stress, too. 56 isn't much for territory even for those fish as juvies.
Fish are now in a 125 gallon tank and flashing continues. Sometimes it’s almost like a seizure/spasms that I’ve seen them do. Other than the occasional flashing/spasm they all eat well and swim completely fine. No physical signs that I can detect on their body without a microscope. Still debating buying a microscope as the local vet wants $200 to do biopsy scrapes on one of them and when asked how many times they’ve done it before they admitted that it would be their first time 😆. I applaud their willingness to help though

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store