Marbled Headstander?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy, I was wondering if those of you who have kept the fish could share your experiences. I read that they are herbivores, and I was wondering if one of you has kept them with Hardy plans such as Anubias. Any other things to consider? Thanks a bunch!IMG_1082.jpeg

annies

Feeder Fish
Mar 25, 2024
USA
drift-boss.pro
Herbivorous fish tend to feed primarily on plant matter, so it's essential to provide them with a suitable diet that includes algae-based foods and plant-based supplements. While they may graze on certain plants, it's important to choose species that can withstand their browsing behavior.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I used to have Abramites for several years, decades ago. A beautiful and interesting fish.
Will certainly eat tender plants, but some Java fern and some Anubias may survive, depending on what you feed. It also depends on the individual fish. Offering nori, and disposable plants such as floaters is an effective practice to protect other plants. Hornwort (Ceratophyllum) also should survive, floating or planted. Best strategy is to plan on having a supply of replacement plants (grown in another tank), to supply the Anostomid tank as needed.

They can be nippy to other fish. I see you have several Leporinus. The Abramites to stays smaller, but it is jerkish similarly other Anostomids (Leporinus and Anostomus). Plant considerations for most Leporinus and Abramites are similar.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Herbivorous fish tend to feed primarily on plant matter, so it's essential to provide them with a suitable diet that includes algae-based foods and plant-based supplements. While they may graze on certain plants, it's important to choose species that can withstand their browsing behavior.
Brent Spiner!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I see you have several Leporinus. The Abramites to stays smaller, but it is jerkish similarly other Anostomids (Leporinus and Anostomus). Plant considerations for most Leporinus and Abramites are similar.
Thank you for your insights, those were most helpful. That was actually a picture from the Fish Store…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store