Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
So I have two emperor 400 filters running in my 75 gallon tank. The most recent of the two filters has suddenly acquired a massive problem. I was going to to turn the filters back on, as I do weekly for my water changes. Filters purged back up all the way of course before turning back on. The filters start pumping water normally as expected after a few moments, but then one is not pumping water to the spray bars, and a semi loud vibration noise comes from that filter. The filter is still pumping water through the filter pads and back into the tank, it is just not running any water to the spray bars (to turn the bio wheels) and i can't figure out why for the life of me. Ive taken the impeller assembly apart, put it back together 3 times and ended up with the same result each time. The impeller is clean and seems to be in the right spot, to the best of my knowledge.Any suggestions?? Looking for any help i can get! Thank you for reading.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have two emperor 400 filters running in my 75 gallon tank. The most recent of the two filters has suddenly acquired a massive problem. I was going to to turn the filters back on, as I do weekly for my water changes. Filters purged back up all the way of course before turning back on. The filters start pumping water normally as expected after a few moments, but then one is not pumping water to the spray bars, and a semi loud vibration noise comes from that filter. The filter is still pumping water through the filter pads and back into the tank, it is just not running any water to the spray bars (to turn the bio wheels) and i can't figure out why for the life of me. Ive taken the impeller assembly apart, put it back together 3 times and ended up with the same result each time. The impeller is clean and seems to be in the right spot, to the best of my knowledge.Any suggestions?? Looking for any help i can get! Thank you for reading.

Try lubricating the magnet, and impeller with vasoline and see if that resolves the issue.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Might as well start with the most simple solution;did you pull up the control lever to the proper level?

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
The spray bars can become blocked by mineral deposits or debris. There are clips that hold them in place so they can be removed and cleaned. The filters come with a small brush to clean out the impeller well and spray bars. Another possibility is the plastic piece that positions the impeller at the top can become damaged and will cause the same issue.

This is one I have that has a damaged impeller mount in the siphon tube.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You may want to check the impeller again.the impeller has two sets of blades the top blades run the spay bar and the bottom blades rut the main filtration. If the top impeller blades are broken they will just spin on the shaft without moving any water.
Just something to check , I have had this happen to me the best fix is to replace the impeller but I was able to repair mine with some superglue.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
im unsure of what you mean by "control lever"
...for lack of a better word,it's the best way that I can name it but it is the grey tab thing you pull up or down to adjust or control the flow of the return water.There is one notch that you can pull it to which cuts off the flow to the spraybar while still allowing the water to re enter the tank.

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
...for lack of a better word,it's the best way that I can name it but it is the grey tab thing you pull up or down to adjust or control the flow of the return water.There is one notch that you can pull it to which cuts off the flow to the spraybar while still allowing the water to re enter the tank.
Thank you I will take a look for this!!

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
I had two of those do the exact same thing. i took the impeller out and soaked in vinegar for a few hours, then lubricated the magnet with a little Vaseline. and then when I put it back together i pushed the intake tube on firmly. then started the filter, it growled at me a little then I lightly lifted up on the intake tube until it stopped grinding/growling, but was still functioning. hope this helps. it worked for me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store