Marineland Penguin HOB filter overflow part

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
The water level in the filter is literally a hair to the top of spilling onto the overflow groove segment even after cleaning out every compartment. This means at the slightest buildup, the filter won't work 100% as it spills into the groove. Does anyone else find this annoying?

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
The water level in the filter is literally a hair to the top of spilling onto the overflow groove segment even after cleaning out every compartment. This means at the slightest buildup, the filter won't work 100% as it spills into the groove. Does anyone else find this annoying?
It is by design when the filter pad got clogged up, it starts to overflow. Is it a DIY filter pad? If the pad is too thick, it creates too much resistant and tends too last shorter.

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
My mistake...I am using a mesh bag filled with carbon in addition to the filter pad which makes the water level a bit higher...maybe I need to fill it with less carbon, and if not, lame....will buy new filter mesh material.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
My mistake...I am using a mesh bag filled with carbon in addition to the filter pad which makes the water level a bit higher...maybe I need to fill it with less carbon, and if not, lame....will buy new filter mesh material.
If you do regular water change, you don,t need carbon. Too thick media will back up water. To save money,you can buy Marineland refillable basket and fill it up with poly batting instead of the expensive Marineland filter pads.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes,with regular water changes you can stick with the stock filter inserts and simply remove and rinse them during the changes...no need for extra carbon.Most hobbyists don't speak very highly of activated carbon these days and I have never used more than what already comes packed in the inserts.

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Thanks for the tip guys, quite essential info. I already have a large container of carbon the size of a basketball so I will put it to use possibly in that marineland refillable basket.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store