Mata Mata turtle

GhostShrimpMan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Brownsville, Texas
Phractocephalus Hemioliop;4589877; said:
i doubt mata matas could eat any fish so far said. definitely not discus, if big enough. as discus are too wide to fit in there mouths. mata matas don't have teeth! they are perfectly harmless unless to anything that is maybe as small as a guppy. not even baby mata matas may be able to fit a large guppy in their mouth!
and i 100% ensure my mata mata can ever eat my stingray that is his size. he has not teeth!
he's extremely peaceful with all my fish, never shows aggression and doesn't mind my fly river turtles digging under him or sleeping on him.
and my mata mata is pretty big, yet the most peaceful fish in the tank.
never overestimate turtles just because they look scary ;)
That's what you think. ;)

JC_P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
T.O
Phractocephalus Hemioliop;4589877; said:
i doubt mata matas could eat any fish so far said. definitely not discus, if big enough. as discus are too wide to fit in there mouths. mata matas don't have teeth! they are perfectly harmless unless to anything that is maybe as small as a guppy. not even baby mata matas may be able to fit a large guppy in their mouth!
and i 100% ensure my mata mata can ever eat my stingray that is his size. he has not teeth!
he's extremely peaceful with all my fish, never shows aggression and doesn't mind my fly river turtles digging under him or sleeping on him.
and my mata mata is pretty big, yet the most peaceful fish in the tank.
never overestimate turtles just because they look scary ;)
I wasn't basing it on looks, I'm not a child! nor do I find them "scary" I was watching some special on discovery where they were featured, it had no problem taking down a decent sized cichlid; so don't feed me the guppy bs :) I am also well aware that mata-mata don't use teeth to catch food, they eat by inducting huge amounts of water through their mouths i.e suction. Mata-mata are not aggressive just hungry, they don't generally attack what they don't intend to eat so you can't really claim anything on that part.

turtlemandan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
conneaut
so if i ever get a mata mata turle it could live with my stingrays? as long as the rays were bigger then the turtle? he doesnt chase them or anything? this really sounds cool, the turtles i have just your typical sliders and yellow belly cooters are terrible, they chase anything ans everything thats why i never thought of putting a turtle in with them (my rays or expensive fish) is this mata mata pritty much the only one that can live a ray?

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
I would not put it with rays because the turtle could step on them and damage the disk or the ray could sting and kill or seriously harm the mata.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store