maximizing potential in a 375 gallon

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
I have a 375 gallon that is filtered with three fluval fx6 canisters. I am thinking of putting my 8 inch red morph dovii (possibly a breeding pair) in it by themselves.

With this set up (I am not drilling for a sump), what advice can anyone give to maximize growth rate and size potential? Foods, temp, wc schedule, etc...?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Minimize waste of filters and substrate. The goal is to duplicate a lake or river environment where nitrate may be non existent at all times.

Reactions: twhittle

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
At first (at only 8") you will probably not need excessively large or frequent water changes in that size tank.
But as they grow, by around 12-14" as nitrate increases, more water changes will be needed to keep those nitrates and other growth inhibiting substances at low levels (especially when using canister filters) to keep a normal growth rate up.
Studies on gut contents of dovii in nature (in Lake Arenal) indicate insects and other similar animals comprise a majority of their diet as adults, and these are low in fat, high veggie content foods.
B3CE297F-5360-484B-B745-621CA918A241_1_201_a.jpeg
As Modest...Man mentioned, maximizing speedy growth may not always be the healthiest option (at least that's how I read it), so gut loading with a non-natural diet of "too" meaty foods might be counter productive in the long term.
A link to the study below
A management plan for the sport fishery of Parachromis dovii ...www.scielo.sa.cr › scielo

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
At first (at only 8") you will probably not need excessively large or frequent water changes in that size tank.
But as they grow, by around 12-14" as nitrate increases, more water changes will be needed to keep those nitrates and other growth inhibiting substances at low levels (especially when using canister filters) to keep a normal growth rate up.
Studies on gut contents of dovii in nature (in Lake Arenal) indicate insects and other similar animals comprise a majority of their diet as adults, and these are low in fat, high veggie content foods.
View attachment 1429113
As Modest...Man mentioned, maximizing speedy growth may not always be the healthiest option (at least that's how I read it), so gut loading with a non-natural diet of "too" meaty foods might be counter productive in the long term.
A link to the study below
A management plan for the sport fishery of Parachromis dovii ...www.scielo.sa.cr › scielo
Appreciate the info...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store