MBU puffer has an ulcer-like sore on his cheek?

paulinexo

Feeder Fish
Apr 20, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi guys!

The MBU puffer is about 2 years old. He has grown big in his 65 gallon tank. He lives with a dinosaur bichir and a Jack Dempsey. He will be relocated to a bigger tank soon, although his tank mates are peaceful with each other. pH is 7.4, ammonia and nitrites - 0, nitrates are 5-10. The tank is cycled and no big or small changes have been done to the tank recently. All of the sudden, we just noticed this white spot on his cheek (which is slightly bigger now) and on top of his head. Additionally, about a month ago he did lose one of his upper teeth. He still has been eating krill and snails/clams normally with no issues. We've tried melafix with no improvement. His breathing is normal, but its been about 3-4 days and today it seems his appetite has decreased as he is not going for the food anymore and we noticed his fins clamped even though usually when he's just chilling they still move. We are really worried about him since he is a part of the family. I was wondering if you guys could help us treat this, I would greatly appreciate it.

tdpsud4nb0u61.jpg

dccftd4nb0u61.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: The Masked Shadow

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Check ur water parameters. Make sure nitrates are below 20ppm and that tank is cycled. I’d suggest kanamycin or triple sulfa. 1/2 dose at first and add the second dose a few hours later if no issues. See if Fat Homer Fat Homer has any other suggestions.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I’ve never seen a wound like that before on a puffer, wonder if it is a fresh cut of some sort or as you said an ulcer?

coz in a way looks like a bit of skin and flesh got gouged out from maybe being scraped on decor?

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I also have an adult mbu with a similar looking sore. Thought it was an injury but he’s had it for over a year and it won’t heal. It almost seems to be getting worse.

D628C9E6-8991-4567-9748-6536F7418F95.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: kno4te and Caveden

Mimired65

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2024
I have had my mbu for a year. 8-14-23 3 sores show up will not get better . about 8 weeks ago he lost his appetite he might eat one shrimp a week and that's it. Lincoln is still as active as he always has been I don't understand what is going on how could he not eat he was eating three large shrimp a day ? Please help thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store