Me and my Bichirs - Intro!

Nivvy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2014
Louisiana
Nice fish, they are so cute when they are small. It is not only the amount of room that they have in the wild, but also the genes of wild senegals is better then WC, and due to bad genetics captive breed fish will never reach the same size as wild caught ones.

Good job catching the bichir bug though, I started with two senegalus's to, now I have over 10. :p
Oh I see. I wonder if there's anyone out there who breeds for good genetics.
Oh no xD haha, I can see myself with 10 in the future. How large is your tank? Are all 10 in the same tank or different tanks?

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I'm completely addicted. Haha, but having a fish tank is therapeutic and relaxing :)
Get more! Diff species don't get a bunch of sens lol play pokemon with it lol gotta catch em all I started wit a sen 8 years ago ... Died do to power outage .... Now I got a lapradei ..2 delhezis.. endlichiri ... Senegal ... Albino sen... Bout to get a couple other species in the next couple weeks they r hands down my fav fish of all time and if u have a large enough tank ... Then keep them all together there is nothing better than a giant pile of bichirs lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Welcome to the Bichir addiction. I started with a 6" Ornate. I now have 6 bichirs including 4 different species and I ordered 3 more which should be here around the 1st of September. Can't wait!

madjester101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2012
Amarillo TX
It seems a lot of people catch the bichir bug I bought some from petsmart too. They just looked so cool. Now I have my ornate and delhezi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Senegal bichir are one of smallest upper jawed species of polypterus, cb Senegal normally exceed maybe 9 to 10 inches, although there been some recorded larger.
Everything I've read has male CB senegals hitting 8 inches only and rarely bigger. My own experience has them slowing their growth north of 7 inches, with small bursts here and there but tapering off close to 8 inches for males. I've seen some females around 12 inches, but more likely they are no more than 10. Never seen a senegal more than about 12 inches, but that one was absurdly big so I assume it was WC.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store