mean cichlid

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
I think it depends on the fish's personality. I've had a Jack Dempseys and a Dovii and the JD was a boat-load more meaner then the Dovii...get it...boat...fish....HAHHAHAhAHha:ROFL: ahem. But yeah..

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
RD/midas, i used to own (and am buying back) a RD/midas which could take on any dovii on this site and win, its the measnest thing ive ever seen and is a brutal killing machine.

by the way i also own dovii...

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
No cichlid is in every case the most aggressive one. But it seems to be P. Dovii in most cases.
Some RD/Midas's could take a full grown Dovii. Some Dovii kill anything. Some pair of cons can protect fry from a pair of midas (worked for me, til the pair of Midas spawned).

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
And why are people discussing this here, there is a sticked thread on this.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Interesting that we have one thread here criticizing a dovii owner for fighting them and posting a youtube video and then there is a thread running four years long debating which cichlid is meanest.

oHsNaP1337

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
CA
I think some of you guys are mistaking "aggression" or "mean" with actual fighting abilities. What I mean is any semi aggressive to aggressive cichlid can flare or tail fan at another fish, hell if you want to talk about aggressive or mean, I use to have a Firemouth that flared at every fish that swam by him, but I know he would get mauled in a real fight. If you're talking about actually fighting, then it would be the Dovii followed by the Umbee.

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
im yet to see a dovii that could do my devil in a fight. he is the best fighter ive seen.

he used to share a tank with a breeding pair of adult managuense, the managuense bred one time, the male was 12", the female was 10", the devil was 11", he took on both the managuense, and won the fight.

he left the tank (5x2.5x2.5) half full of blood from 1 hit on the male managuense, blood was coming out of his gills.

i then divided the tank while i was rehoming the managuense. he broke the divider and killed the male and nearly the female. luckily i got there before the female was killed aswell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store