Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Coming this summer 2016:
Waterfall algae scrubber
Version 2

After I invented the waterfall scrubber in 2008, it's great that so many people got to DIY it, and it's also great that lots of builders/sellers used it as their design up until the current day. It's had over 7 years to gather hobbyists.

2012 was a good year though, when I introduced the upflow scrubber. It's only had 3 years to gather hobbyists, but offers them what they did not have before: a compact place where they can put a scrubber that does not spill over when it fills up.

Now that the upflows are established, it's time to do some more work on the waterfalls. They've been unchanged since 2008, and almost every part of them can be improved. So over the next year or two I'll post up the improvements piece by piece. Hopefully the improvements will be useful to all.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Back when my nitrates were high, I went with the quick and easy anaerobic denitrator. I looked into your algae scrubber, LED lights inside my sump would be the most practical, lots of humidity,
I need to read your post.
I have an mbuna cichlid tank, I let them graze on algae that grows on the 3 sides of the tank.
I have read about an underwater bubble up algae scrubber, or perhaps just take the grown plate and feed it too the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store