megalodon not extinct?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Is it the megalodon show they did for Shark Week last year?

My personal stand point is the the meg morphed into what we know as white sharks.

Is there are chance there is something in the ocean we don't know about? Yes. In fact, I firmly believe there are some big things out there that are old enough and smart enough to avoid us.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Highly unlikely in my opinion... I saw the show and it was ad much a koad of toot as the mermaid one! Unless it lives solely on the bottom of the ocean I find it hard to believe, what food down there is large enough and abundant enough to feed a 60ft carnivore. .. maybe giant squid I guess, fact is we have no evidence at all, all the teeth found are ancient and anyones opinion that they do exist is wishful thinking!-)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The other hard part today with proving/disproving things like this is there are so many people out there with the ability (and for some reason the desire) to create fake images/videos that are done just to mess with the general public.
The idea of educational documentaries has faded away in favor of ratings. Mockumentaries have become the trend. You get the very obvious fakes like Finding Bigfoot and the mermaid show.... ok, clearly 98% of the population knows if we discover either, it will be on ABC's nightly news, not a TV series. But when you start to cloud the public with things like fake documentaries about megalodons on Shark Week or even films like Blackfish that are agenda driven and misleading, it becomes hard for the public to draw the line between fact and fiction.

As an example:
A few weeks ago there was an article circulating the social media sites with an attention grabbing headline about something eating White sharks. When you read it, it makes you think there is some gigantic creature taking out the apex predators. In reality, a tag on a 9 ft white gave some readings. They included a temp change (increase) and a pressure change (increase). Right off the bat, we all know a 9 foot White shark is fairly small - and didn't match the image of the 20 foot shark pictured in the article. They say the temp increase was showing the tag being digested by a large animal. Maybe, or maybe it was in warmer water. They say the rapid pressure increase showed the shark was pulled quickly to the bottom by it's attacker. They forgot to tell you the same reading can happen with a large animal bites a tag (rapid pressure increase) and damages it. They also lead you to believe the shark itself was going through the changes. In reality, all they know is the tag was reading it. The public doesn't know how often tags are ripped off and send bad data. They don't think about something grabbing the fin the tag was on and swimming away with it. The writer went for the most dramatic attention grabbing version - which ironically is also the least likely to have happen.

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
^ nice explanation.

I found myself hooked by the author's extremely gripping write-up. I guess sometimes we any of us can get hooked by interesting, wild, and unknown and not truly know what other explanations there exist. Thanks for putting the logic back in that story.

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Agreed, nice explanation Zoo. I will say that Blackfish was far more compelling and believable than mermaids or finding Bigfoot. What parts of Blackfish do you feel were inaccurately portrayed?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
For Blackfish, it's mostly the stuff from the beginning to the end that is skewed. Their 'experts' were all fired or have a bone to pick. Some of them never really worked with the whales like they lead you to believe. Most didn't know Dawn. The 'facts' weren't actually facts. Some of the footage was faked or shaped to appear different from reality. They edited footage together to make them look different than what was really going on. I won't get into details here, but if you do some reading about what was really involved, there are more than you'd ever want.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Think of Blackfish like this...swap in something else...a shark, and call it Jaws. In 1975, the general public was swayed by something not true. One film did more damage that we have been able to fix even today - 20 years later. Jaws wasn't even promoted as anything but fiction, and STILL the public was swayed. How many people cling to the wrong impression of all sharks being giant boat sinking, man eating, blood thirsty monsters? Reality, 380ish species, and MOST are benthic, surviving on a diet of inverts and small fish.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
If you google a bit you will find discovery lost a lot of credability for that made up story. The "pic" with the fins and u boat is from a documentary and shows that footage without the fins and it isnt in the same area. Plus they made the fins about 3x bigger than megaladon actually was

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Thanks for the information Zoo!

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store