Mexican crayfish with cherry shrimp

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Would a Mexican crayfish be able to co-exist peacefully with a cherry shrimp in a 20 gallon tank? Or would it attempt to eat the shrimp? Thanks

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
No these species are not compatible, the crayfish would eat the shrimp. I have 3 orange Mexican dwarf crayfish in a 5 gallon hanging bowl and I have a fluval spec full of shrimp and micro rasboras I wouldn't add them together. Recently I tried putting a Thai micro crab with the shrimp but found them to be too active and bulldoze the shrimp around although the crab never ate them. Hope this helps you when I get home I'll post pictures. Mexican dwarf crays are very interesting to watch and very hardy. They seem very happy in my bowl. I do water changes everyday to keep the water fresh and not stagnant

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
I got an Mexican crayfish for free because it's a orange and blue cross and a brown/cream coloured. I quickly found out I can't keep it with my guppies luckily I didn't loose any fish but that's only because I saw it catch one of my guppies by the tail and I was able to save the poor thing. I now have him in a 5G by it self with lots of cavey things and rocks and he seems happy.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I got an Mexican crayfish for free because it's a orange and blue cross and a brown/cream coloured. I quickly found out I can't keep it with my guppies luckily I didn't loose any fish but that's only because I saw it catch one of my guppies by the tail and I was able to save the poor thing. I now have him in a 5G by it self with lots of cavey things and rocks and he seems happy.
You can keep crayfish with fishes, crayfish only try to catch fish that not healthy or injured and unable to swim. I keep a bunch of blue/white crayfish in my community tank (over 150 fishes in there and I don't see them trying to catch any fishes....My fish even try to grab the foods I meant for them from time to time and they just raise their claw and chasing them around, it's hilarious scene to watch :p

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
Yuki, my Crayfish tried to grab it at night while the fish was resting. I'm usually paranoid when I do something drastic such as a major clean up, separating fish for some reason or getting new critters for my tank so I often check on my tank to make sure everything is ok. And my crayfish going after my fish is exactly why I do it, luckily I'm paranoid about that so I caught the little b@st@rd red handed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store