Miami canal catches

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2087694; said:
when you say africans, are you refering to just jewels and the miscellaneous tilapias, or is there something else in those canals? I'm down by practically the Redlands, so I don't know the Doral area too well

I have seen zebras african red , other types that not sure what they are. I am going to guess johanni just by pics but can just as easily be something similiar .

Its african but when looking down in the canal and as you know you get close and boom they take off but I do know africans I just don't know exact type when it comes to similiar species .

Zebras I know as looked into them yrs ago.
Jewels there are 2 types the red and greenish common types and lots convicts reg types no albinos .

I havent seen any acara's I mention that as read your looking for acara

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Have you tried castnetting? or are there too many rocks in the area the africans are?

I've always read that black acaras are in South Florida waterways, but I've never seen them. Would actually like to add a couple to a tank.

gthiele

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Miami
Hey you know Coral Reef Park that canal has some pretty big midas, and pbass. What canal are you fishing from

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2091183; said:
Have you tried castnetting? or are there too many rocks in the area the africans are?

I've always read that black acaras are in South Florida waterways, but I've never seen them. Would actually like to add a couple to a tank.
--------------
I don't have a cast net and this canal has tons rocks even boulders and and local gator .

I have never seen it but have heard from people it's there and becarefull. I did have a 3 foot one take my lure in area canal while back. Scared the willies out of me lol.

If I catch or spot acaras will let you know but have never seen one which ofcourse mean's nothing could be many of them.

I am going back first Sat of Sept with my new "lures" dead tree frogs the storm "deposited" in my yard (found 6 of them) .

Put them in container in garage little freezer/refrig. I can't fathom non spawning Oscars passing them up .

The closest I have had Oscar's striking (followed it close but didnt strike) has been with rubber frog top lures (small size) imagine this is better and again dead to begin with.

dead tree.JPG

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
gthiele;2094043; said:
Hey you know Coral Reef Park that canal has some pretty big midas, and pbass. What canal are you fishing from

I don't think I have been there.
In the area I go the jumbo Midas which are real nice are spawning ,Oscar's to they don't strike while spawning unlike PB.
I imagine same in Coral reef park?
It seems to be the bigger cichlid non PB spawning season.

I hope in 2 week's the spawning is over as have wasted couple weekends in trying to catch an Oscar .

My best canal's are in Kendall and Between Doral and sweetwater by best I mean for Tropical fish and neat little unusual cichlids but man its rock city .

I have only tried tiny tiny hooks . The convicts take bait dont take hook. I just want a picture lol .
I won't keep any unless black acaras which have never seen to give away if not release it .

The big lakes around here have PB but nothing neat as far as little fish go just reg sunfish .

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I've always been able to catch oscars on shiners, especially small shiners. The canal on SW 152 St and 137 ave. has tons of Midas, pbass, Mayans, Tilapia mariae, and some jags and oscars as well. There's also jewels near the shore, and we netted out a ton of jewel fry recently

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2095781; said:
I've always been able to catch oscars on shiners, especially small shiners. The canal on SW 152 St and 137 ave. has tons of Midas, pbass, Mayans, Tilapia mariae, and some jags and oscars as well. There's also jewels near the shore, and we netted out a ton of jewel fry recently

The jags are one of my favorite's I have caught 3 on lures but never saw one swimmimg by.

Are you going to keep your jewel cichlids to breed them ? I recently posted pic of one of my jewels in cichlid forum /maybe pond forum lol forgot .

Most aggressive fish I have ever had . Started with 4 in 120 gallon pvc pond with driftwood,flower pots now down to 1 pair .

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163022

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
we justed netted out tons of fries, not sure what we're going to do, probably keep some, and use the rest as feeders and such. Never seen convicts down here, mostly mayans and some midas and tilapia as the most common.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
you have never seen convict's at all in Miami or just your area?
They are one of the most common in the canal I go to . No albino just reg type.

Yes the smaller cichlids seem to be breeding now. Surprised so late in the year .

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Louie;2095892; said:
you have never seen convict's at all in Miami or just your area?
They are one of the most common in the canal I go to . No albino just reg type.

Yes the smaller cichlids seem to be breeding now. Surprised so late in the year .
No, I've never seen any convicts, only the fish I mentioned in my earlier post. I've also seen in other canals salvini and a couple of species of tilapia. I used to fish the Tamiami canal (c4) down by nw 7th street where Pan American Hospital and St. Dominic's Catholic Church are, used to be very good for peacocks and some oscars and tilapia. There were snook there as well, but never caught one there. Other than that, I mostly fish down south where I live by.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store