Midas questions

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hi, I have a 12” Midas and an armored cat coming that will be going into my 58”x40”x24”H indoor pond. I know eventually the cat will get too big and I’ve got that covered. But my question is should I had dithers like SDs or just roll with the two? My preference would be just the two, but if you guys think dithers would be a benefit, I’m open to that
Thanks.

Reactions: Midwater

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I often wonder what 'dithers' are meant to do.
In the wild your " dithers " are a sort of early warning alarm system. When they are going about doing their natural things it tells the cichlids there are no bigger predators about. When they scatter and hide, it tells there is danger about and they need to hide as well.

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Hi, I have a 12” Midas and an armored cat coming that will be going into my 58”x40”x24”H indoor pond. I know eventually the cat will get too big and I’ve got that covered. But my question is should I had dithers like SDs or just roll with the two? My preference would be just the two, but if you guys think dithers would be a benefit, I’m open to that
Thanks.
i would personally add seem due to the fact that cichlids, even large and aggressive ones, can become extremely skittish in ponds since they have been kept in aqauriums the entire life, in which they have full view to their surroundings and thus can become quite nervous in ponds, where they have limited view, as mentioned by jjohnwm jjohnwm in one of your previous threads. My small oscar thrived and lived like a absolute bully in my old 125 gallon pond, buy only due to the fact that there were dithers including SDs and other smaller fish. As soon as they were removed, he became a wuss, hiding in a cave all day. I am already regretting not buying dithers for my midas, who is still afraid to leave its cave at a size of 10 inches even after a month. Dithers have worked like a charm for me in the past, bringing out the true nature of a plethora of my fish. I would highly recommend buying them.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
i would personally add seem due to the fact that cichlids, even large and aggressive ones, can become extremely skittish in ponds since they have been kept in aqauriums the entire life, in which they have full view to their surroundings and thus can become quite nervous in ponds, where they have limited view, as mentioned by jjohnwm jjohnwm in one of your previous threads. My small oscar thrived and lived like a absolute bully in my old 125 gallon pond, buy only due to the fact that there were dithers including SDs and other smaller fish. As soon as they were removed, he became a wuss, hiding in a cave all day. I am already regretting not buying dithers for my midas, who is still afraid to leave its cave at a size of 10 inches even after a month. Dithers have worked like a charm for me in the past, bringing out the true nature of a plethora of my fish. I would highly recommend buying them.
I guess I’m concerned with my pond being much smaller than yours that the Midas will kill any dithers, but maybe I’ll get some. That’s why the only tankmate is the armored cat
I think I’ll see what his personality is like over a month or so and if he’s skittish or hiding a lot, I’ll try some SDs

Reactions: AR1 and Jexnell

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I guess I’m concerned with my pond being much smaller than yours that the Midas will kill any dithers, but maybe I’ll get some. That’s why the only tankmate is the armored cat
I think I’ll see what his personality is like over a month or so and if he’s skittish or hiding a lot, I’ll try some SDs
Regular silver dollars can easily reach up to 6 inch in length and at least 4 inch in height, like the ones i had, making it difficult for a midas to eat them. They are extremely fast and whenever chased by a predator, tend to scatter, leaving it confused. I also housed four of them with my buttikoferi(hornet cichlid) which was EXTREMELY aggressive, maybe even more aggressive than a midas or RD cichlid. The butti used to give a good chase at high speeds, but would eventually get confused as which one should it catch, since they used to scatter. Also, the silver dollars would easily outrun it and the butti abandoned the chase after one to two days. I prefer SDs above every other dither, due to suitable size, body shape and excellent speed.
You could also decorate your pond in a way that it "breaks the chase". I have done it in the past and in present as well. Basically, it involves placing some sort of large to medium sized rock, cave(with two entrances, each one opening at opposite sides of the pond), driftwood, etc, at the center of the pond. Whenever a high speed chase occurs, the smaller dithers can easily swim through the cave or/and around it, since they can manouver better and the larger cichlid will abandon its chase, either because its too large to make sudden turns or pass through the cave. This will also help to break direct eye contact with the fish and soon the midas will lose interest in eating the dithers.

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Very much depends on the midas. Some slaughter everything, some don't. My 12" male lived just fine with a group of juvenile (but breeding) convicts, and currently I've got a school of 6 giant danios with him that he leaves alone. They aren't there to act in the traditional "dither" sense though - they're just there to add a bit more activity to the tank and keep him company lol.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Very much depends on the midas. Some slaughter everything, some don't. My 12" male lived just fine with a group of juvenile (but breeding) convicts, and currently I've got a school of 6 giant danios with him that he leaves alone. They aren't there to act in the traditional "dither" sense though - they're just there to add a bit more activity to the tank and keep him company lol.
So it’s sounding like I just need to wait until he arrives and see what his personality is like and go from there

Reactions: Jexnell and AR1

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Hmm you might be better off getting them before he gets there, IF you decide you wanna give it a go. He's more likely to accept them if they're already existing in the pond when you add him to it, rather than letting him get established in HIS territory and have him look at new fish like invaders. Just get something you won't be super crushed about if they *disappear* lol.

That being said...Tolken (my current midas) was long established in HIS tank/territory - like 2 years there by himself - before I decided to try the convicts and it wasn't an issue. Same when I swapped the convicts out for the danios.

Basically it's a crap shoot ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store