Might be picking up a 150g, lots of questions.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Not sure of the comparison, but I'm running 2 Emperor 400's and 2 Rena XP4's on my 150. I have very messy fish, and slightly overstocked as well and they do a good job. If you run that one Emperor 400 and even one canister right now and stock lightly, you can take a bit of time to but more filters and your fish grow or you buy more fish. Nobody can really argue that a 150 gallon with 5 medium sized fish will do better than the same setup on a 55 gallon tank. Water volume helps a lot. Move some used gravel over and filter media to make it easier to switch everybody over.
I should be getting my canister at the beginning of next week so I will be moving some of the used media from my overhead sump to it to get started. I may use the sump on the new tank but it's kind of an eye sore unless I figure a way to hide it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Putting the stand together now. Tank should be here at 9 am. A quick question. There's a water outlet in the basement literally right next to my tank but it's the cold outlet. I do about a 60-70% change weekly. There's also a drain right beside. What I was wondering is can I use this faucet for water changes or should I not? This would make water changes a cake walk. I'm afraid the answer is going to be no but I figured I'd ask.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Putting the stand together now. Tank should be here at 9 am. A quick question. There's a water outlet in the basement literally right next to my tank but it's the cold outlet. I do about a 60-70% change weekly. There's also a drain right beside. What I was wondering is can I use this faucet for water changes or should I not? This would make water changes a cake walk. I'm afraid the answer is going to be no but I figured I'd ask.

Adding 40%+ cold water would be a drastic drop in temp. If it doesn't shock them to begin with, it could make them stressed out and be susceptible to diseases.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Alright I'll try that. I'm getting the tank soon, so I'll be cleaning it then filling it and then put a filter on with existing media to try to jump start this process.

Since you have such a big tank and smaller fish, you should add one of the smaller fish (along with the some existing media) to the new tank as well to speed up the cycling process.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Since you have such a big tank and smaller fish, you should add one of the smaller fish (along with the some existing media) to the new tank as well to speed up the cycling process.
I may move my featherfin once it warms up. I still gotta get this thing into the basement.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
My neighbor helped me move my 180. It must of been a site to behold. Me at 5'6" & 145lb and my neighbor at 6'7" & 220lb+ lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store