Might start selling apistos

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Thinking about getting into breeding/selling Apistogrammas, wish me luck, I'll make a website and share it with you guys in the marketplace if and when I go through with this idea.

I am probably going to start with double reds, and eventually expand to other strains, other species, and eventually even totally different fish. I've pretty much figured most of the stuff I'll need in my head, but if there's any info that you guys think I should know, or anything from personal experience, feel free to share. I'm thinking of setting up a greenhouse or warehouse of sorts but I want some advice on how to do something like that on a budget, and preferably on my personal property. I already have a shed that I could possibly use.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Good luck, my advice would be to enable an auto water change system if you are doing this large-scale, and use good quality source water (perhaps RO if your source isn't right for apistos)

Reactions: tlindsey

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
commercially not really that popular in the usa, there are chicago ads (currently different ram morphs and triple red cacatouides and some wild type apistos) trying to sell them and seems like they aren’t big movers, i never remember them being popular, nice but really a species tank fish

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I see appisto's all the time. What's not to like about them? They're bright, colorful, don't grow big, and aren't super agressive. Keep us posted!

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
My advice is to breed and raise stuff because you like doing it, not because you plan to turn a profit. I breed a ton of cichlids, from dwarves to large stuff, and it's a lot of maintenance and effort for very little pay off. I've imported discus commercially and barely broke even. Now I breed species that I'm interested in, and if I can move some fry out to other dedicated hobbyists I consider that a plus.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
My advice is to breed and raise stuff because you like doing it, not because you plan to turn a profit. I breed a ton of cichlids, from dwarves to large stuff, and it's a lot of maintenance and effort for very little pay off. I've imported discus commercially and barely broke even. Now I breed species that I'm interested in, and if I can move some fry out to other dedicated hobbyists I consider that a plus.
Yeah, turning a profit was part of it, but if my business doesn't exactly blow up, I'll probably still find it rewarding

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store