Mike's 45 gallon long (48"x12"x19") planted tank

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I finally got around to redoing the tank with the new driftwood, I had to saw the driftwood in half because it wouldn't fit into the tank. But I've got it in the tank now, and used a few zipties to piece it together lol. Now I'm waiting for the tank to clear so I can get started on the aquascape!!! Pics to come once the tank clears up...

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
That's a very nice piece of driftwood. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Aside from stripping the bark and soaking, do you do anything else to prep prior to introducing it to your tank?

Near where I live there are so many ponds, streams, reservoirs and lakes. I've always wanted to use driftwood I've spotted, but have been afraid of using the wrong type or picking up contaminated wood. Everyone has different collection methods. I'm curious - how you make your selections and what criteria do you use to exclude found items?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Aside from boiling water, for a big piece I used in an old tank, and for when we have a lot of them, you can just put them right in the dishwasher lol. Will get out most of the tannins, and kill anything in the wood.

winston.smith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
ny
If you could find one that begins and terminates naturally,,
without the cuts... and fits your tanks... that might look even better! Maybe two smaller pieces together. Either way, very cool.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I finally got around to getting a couple plants in the tank!!!! I picked up 2 Cryptocoryne Balansae, a 4" Amazon Sword, a 5" Amazon Sword mother plant w/ 4 tiny swords sprouting, some Ludwigia Palustris, and 2 bunches of Ludwigia Repens. So tomorrow I'll mix up a batch of yeast co2 for the tank since it has plants in it now, and pics to come soon!!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Here's some new pics of the tank, now with plants in it!!! Then last week my 3000k bulb died, had the thing going for a freaking week and it dies, what a shame... But I replaced it with another 6500k bulb, and my plants seem to be really responding to the 6500k bulbs combined with a 12,000k white actinic, and a 460nm actinic bulb. Every plant is showing major new growth, and the growth seems to be fast and steady!!!

Full tank shots
DSCN3191.JPG

DSCN3197.JPG

Amazon Swords w/ shooters in back corner
DSCN3192.JPG

Cryptocoryne Balansae
DSCN3193.JPG

Ludwigia Palustris
DSCN3194.JPG

Ludwigia Repens
DSCN3195.JPG

Hygrophila corymbosa "stricta"
DSCN3196.JPG

DSCN3191.JPG

DSCN3192.JPG

DSCN3193.JPG

DSCN3194.JPG

DSCN3195.JPG

DSCN3196.JPG

DSCN3197.JPG

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I liked the way you had it set up before adding the driftwood, the hardscape that is, with the sand beach area at the front and larger stones on either side toward the back. It still looks good, tho, I prefer the previous. All that matters is that you are happy, tho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store