Mikrogeophagus altispinosus breeding

klmt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
CT
I have a pair of mature Bolivian Rams living in a planted 29 gallon peaceful community setup and I cannot get them to spawn. This pair has spawned successfully one time in the past raising the young for a few weeks until they were all eventually picked off by tank mates. However, since this single spawning event they have refused to replicate the act much to my dismay. I have tried heavy feedings and conditioning followed by a cool water change and increase in water temperature, re-aquascaping and keeping the water parameters in check. Currently the female is very plump and the male is also in great condition, they just don't seem to want to do the deed. There is general chasing and mild aggression with the occasional lip locking but never any damage and every now and then I see mild displaying but noting too serious. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to stimulate spawning between these two? I've attached a picture of the tank, you can see the two squabbling. sorry for the poor quality.

tank.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would give them more time.:) Keep up your routine but don't change aquascape.

klmt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
CT
It has been three or more months since last spawning event, I'm just wondering if there are any specific triggers that I may try that have worked for others. Time I have, patience not so much. Thanks for your reply!

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I'm having a similar problem with mine. I have 1male and 3 females. They spawned a couple times when they were in my 20 long qt. Once they were moved to their permanent home in a 135 gallon there has been no eggs although several times they seemed ready to. I'm not too concerned about it because they are in a community and the fry will probably get eaten anyway but it would be nice to see eggs again. Patience is certainly needed. Hopefully yours will settle in and feel comfortable enough to spawn for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store