mini reef tank.

jiNRo.

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Hey guys--

I've been wondering around the site now and I've been a tad crazed by a possible 20G Long mini reef tank and maybe some invertes and small fish. I have some questions to ask and i want to know is this is possible or am i going to waste my time.

Here is goes:

Is it possible to do a mini reef tank in a 20G Long?

If so, what kind of setup do i need? (ie. sump, powerheads, protein skimmer...etc)

I read the soft corals sticky on the subforum. What kind of soft corals do you reccommend for a beginner in a salt water tank?

All, thanks in advance for the responses, any info helps. :D

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
I've seen multiple 10 gallon mini reef tanks so I don't see why not

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
jiNRo.;4894439; said:
Hey guys--

I've been wondering around the site now and I've been a tad crazed by a possible 20G Long mini reef tank and maybe some invertes and small fish. I have some questions to ask and i want to know is this is possible or am i going to waste my time.

Here is goes:

Is it possible to do a mini reef tank in a 20G Long?

If so, what kind of setup do i need? (ie. sump, powerheads, protein skimmer...etc)

I read the soft corals sticky on the subforum. What kind of soft corals do you reccommend for a beginner in a salt water tank?

All, thanks in advance for the responses, any info helps. :D
20 long, yep!

sumps are always awesome but not needed. filtration and equipment can depend on stock, can you give us a better idea of stock?

softies: star polyps, zoas, mushrooms, palys, tree corals(can outgrow overtime but are easily fragged) leathers, xenia. there are tons of options but i would personally go with tons of zoas, ricordias, bright tree corals, some yellow gorgonians, and maybe a few choice lps like frogspawn and a fungia :)

good luck!
youre welcome in advance :ROFL:

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Definitely can be done.

Powerheads will be needed. A hang on back filter with nothing more than a filter pad will help trap larger wastes.

You can do a skimmer if you wish. I highly recommend them. On small tanks I feel it is easier to get away with not having a skimmer because water changes are easier and smaller. You will need to do more frequent water changes if you don't have a skimmer.

As far as corals go, you can pick and choose what you like. Start with the easier ones to keep and go from there. Many of the softies, or any coral really, will outgrow a tank this size if your water conditions are good. You can then sell or trade them for other things you like.

BradT85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
Illinois
I had a 20 long reef as my first ever salt tank. I think its an awesome size since its long and shallow. I had a 2 bulb T5 HO fixture, a rio nano skimmer, a Rena XP3, and a Koralia 2. I had a pair of clowns, a diadema dottyback, starry blenny, and some snails and peppermint shrimp. Just keep up on the water top offs and water changes and you will be fine.

It worked out very nicely until I had to leave for 2 months over the summer for work and had to leave the tank in someone else's hands. Everything that made it is in my 72 now though and I took it down. I wouldn't really want to do anything smaller than a 20 long though.

I wish I took more full tank shots once the anemones got put it and before it became a mess of cyano and macro algae when I was gone.

015.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store