Minimum Tank requirement for Motoro Rays

Great Basin Benji

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2009
Reno, NV
Hello there. Brand new to the Forum, and a real pleasure to be here. After seeing page after page of incredibly amazing fish today, I am wondering, what are the minimun requirements for keeping rays? I have access to a 150 gallon, but is is quite a bit taller than it is in front to back depth, but was wondering what the particulars are in keeping rays. Is there a Ray keeping sticky thread? I'm guessing that many MANY people have asked this question already, and I don't wish to beat a deah equine here, so If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Ben.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
hi and welcome!

there is an entire section dedicated to rays.. check the bottom right corner of the page and you'll find it! I would recommend atleast 30" to keep any ray but 48 would be prefarable.. they grow very big!

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
most rays would need a 30" wide tank there are some i hear that only grow to 18" wide and they would need a 24" wide tank at a minimum but apparently these are often diffucult to keep and expensive

the avarage 150 gallon tank is only 18" wide and is not suitable for any ray

welcome to MFK

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
ah the everlasting question. heres your answer simply put, for life.....

8'x4'.

debate over.....

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
Great Basin Benji;3427744; said:
Hello there. Brand new to the Forum, and a real pleasure to be here. After seeing page after page of incredibly amazing fish today, I am wondering, what are the minimun requirements for keeping rays? I have access to a 150 gallon, but is is quite a bit taller than it is in front to back depth, but was wondering what the particulars are in keeping rays. Is there a Ray keeping sticky thread? I'm guessing that many MANY people have asked this question already, and I don't wish to beat a deah equine here, so If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Ben.
please visit the stingray sub-forum with this question

JamieH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2007
UK
you shouldn;t be researching the MINIMUM requirements of a fish... you should be aiming to give it the best home possible... why keep a fish inadequate conditions when you could give another fish a perfect home and happy life?

Just my two pence!

Welcome to the site.

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
nitrofish1;3428288; said:
ah the everlasting question. heres your answer simply put, for life.....

8'x4'.

debate over.....
JamieH;3429112; said:
you shouldn;t be researching the MINIMUM requirements of a fish... you should be aiming to give it the best home possible... why keep a fish inadequate conditions when you could give another fish a perfect home and happy life?

Just my two pence!

Welcome to the site.
right there...

Great Basin Benji

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2009
Reno, NV
4' x 8' x ???

Also, Being as I am only inquiring, please don't assume that I would only supply the minimum requirements. I was only inqiring to the "minimum" reqs. as to put it in the form of a question. If I had said , "What are the requirements, ...." I would have gotten a lot more varied answers based upon individual opinions, and I wanted someting a little more "ballpark" so I would know where to begin. Obviously with tank requirement of these sizes, I won't be looking on Craigslist, and at least I know where I'd start if I were to ever attempt to build one. Thanks everyone for the info. I'll definately have to start digging around in the Rays sub-forum.

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
Id say atleast 30" width and 72" length. I have seen a motoro with a 30" disc size, probably 42" with the tail. So a 96"x48"x24" (LxWxH) tank would be a minimum in my eyes for life.

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
Moved to Stingray forum...This is better served here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store