Miraculous Ick Cure?

snarferer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Limerick, PA
So I noticed that my rainbow threadfins (a new purchase, 2 days ago) had some white spots on their fins. So quickly I added salt 1tsp/gallon and raised the temp to 85 degrees. 24 hours later, no more ick on the rainbow threadfins! Also ick never spread to the other fish. How long do I continue the salt and heat treatment. Also, was this maybe not ick? It seems like 24 hours for all the "snow" to be gone is a bit quick.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Continue for at least four days, but many say ten days to ensure three cycles go by and none survive.

Agreed, in that it may not have been ich. Those little white dots on fish fins tend to come and go randomly, too. I wonder if anyone really knows what it is. I've bought fish with them and then they clear up later without any actions by me, and they don't spread or anything. Perhaps they are just small wounds...

Bosco1025

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
Mansfield, Tx
to be putting a tsp of salt in your tank for each gallon, every day for 10 days seems like WAY too much salt to have in your water. i may be wrong, but... i dont think so?

imcrystal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Indianappyville, IN
Bosco1025;3159902; said:
to be putting a tsp of salt in your tank for each gallon, every day for 10 days seems like WAY too much salt to have in your water. i may be wrong, but... i dont think so?

no its good to have a little salt in your water, especially if your fish are wounded or have a parasite or something. thats what anyone on here would tell you to do in this situation. add salt, raise temp..

and glad to hear your fish are better. the same thing happened to me, i thought my fish had ick so i added salt, blah blah & the very next day, no more snow.. maybe it was some other parasite or something else? its gone tho thats what matters! =)

imcrystal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Indianappyville, IN
Ok a tsp. a gallon everyday for 10 days does seem like alot even if the fish are sick.. I didnt put that much in when mine had ick but apparently it didnt hurt them, did the opposite..

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
That's the right amount. I use more than that ( 2 TBS/5 g) as a lot of other people I've heard from do also. I also raise heat to 87 degrees and keep all that up for 10 days.

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
I was told to also keep all lights off ( in addition to the salt- adding). When I got it I threw a sheet over the tank, no light for about a week. Haven't lost a fish to Ich...

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Wait...are you folks describing a constantly increasing dosage of salt over a period of days without removing any? That would end up being ten tsp. per gallon by the end of it. That's approaching brine...very risky. If you're removing water everyday, that's another story.

snarferer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Limerick, PA
I don't know what everyone else was talking about, but I added 1tsp/gallon and will not add any more, except to replace for water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store