Mixing gar species

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
watch out for the cuban outgrowing the florida gar. and seriously, get rid of that gourami. It does not bode well for the gar

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Actually the gourami went to another tank so just eels and plecos in the tank. I read that plecos may be a problem but I haven't seen it being a problem yet. Cuban sits at the top and the florida sits on the bottom and top but no plecos causing them problems. Might add another Florida gar to the tank just to split up any aggression but for now they 2 are good together no aggression.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
plecos should definitely be removed. it may not have happened yet, but all it really takes is one attack for the gars to get a fatal infection.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
What is the consensus? My 13" cuban gar is in a 230 gallon with 2 aquaclear 110's and 2 fx6 for water flow or movement however you want to call it. Since the Cuban sits at the top all the time I figure he will be fine with the stingrays in the 450 gallon. The flow is a Dart pump x 2 returns and 2 Vortech mp40 powerheads. Would this tank be too big at this time and is the flow too strong?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
B Blkpiranha imo leave it in the smaller tank for now

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
k,thanks. Just wanted to move my pom pom knife to the 230 but I figure the cuban will eat him for sure so I will wait longer. Need more tanks or less fish.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
less fish is usually the answer:p
Haha yup. I had nine tanks running on Christmas day. I'm finally down to four excluding my axolotl grow outs. Can't wait to get it down to two.

Reminds me of that scene in bridesmaids where the woman adopts nine puppies rofl.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store