Mixing knifefish with Jardinis

Fraser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
New Zealand
I keep 2 cks, 1 banded knife and hopefully 2 BGKs, as well as other more free swimming fish that may distract a jardini. But I was wondering what peoples views are on having knifefish with jars? Ive seen asians and silvers kept with knives, but do you guys think my mix would work?

Dillingerescaped

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
United States
generally, its safe to say a Jar will attack its tankmates. Of course their are exceptions, but around a certain size their true temperament comes out and you can expect dead tankmates.

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
my 24" jar killed my 24" clown knife quick- I think because the size, shape and color were similar to another arowana- he beat on some 12" and 18" fish but was relentless on the knife

Fraser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
New Zealand
Maybe if you have the knifefish bigger than the aro initially it could work, that way there is clear dominance? An aggressive fish that matches the aros size and makes challenges could be a good candidate for a distraction? keep the cichlid as a dummy fish taking the hits for the other fish?

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
Thing with jardinis is don't go into it expecting it to work, be prepared to have a single fish and if it tolerates tankmates then great, you can comm it. Also adding another large aggressive fish with most likely cause the aro to feel threatened and go all out on it or you will just have 2 aggressive fish double teaming your other fish, they will not solely pick on each other. The best thing to do would be to have a second large tank set up for the jar if things don't work out

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
Also, a "dummy" fish most likely wouldn't work with a jardini because of how violent they can be, if it did turn out to be an aggressive jar, it would kill the dummy fish very quickly and then move onto the next.

Fraser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
New Zealand
nah, not in yet, but on the lists apparently, heard you sold my mate one of your dats, he sold it again and is getting a green. Thanx for the comments guys, might consider doing a green aro now :) I dont wanna risk my banded.

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
Fraser;3856476; said:
nah, not in yet, but on the lists apparently, heard you sold my mate one of your dats, he sold it again and is getting a green. Thanx for the comments guys, might consider doing a green aro now :) I dont wanna risk my banded.
I dont mean to rain on your parade, but greens can be really mean too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store