Mixing reptiles. Advice / tips?

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Green and Bahaman Anoles with Long Tailed Grass Lizards is what the big box retailers do in terms of housing. The years I worked with those stores on and off, never had a problem with any of the animals being together. Even when we had unnecessarily overcrowded enclosures (not that I recommend overcrowded enclosures, the stores just always ordered en masse for sales reasons). Not that I'm recommending to do it or not do it, but from my own observations that worked out with no known issues.

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Now, does anyone have any input as to whether this should be a terrarrium or vivarium/ paludarium? I want it to be 50/50 water but not if that poses a risk to the gecko / anoles / skink. Thoughts?
From what I've read, Crocodile Skinks readily swim. Can't verify that, though (it's just "information" I've picked up from various care sheets, I'd recommend asking a breeder/keeper about that). And I know Anoles can, not sure about the gecko.

But I would imagine as long as you had the water not too deep and with easy access to get in and out, that it shouldn't be a problem on that side. I'd be more concerned about getting proper filtration in it, but there's a bunch of really great set-ups by ZooMed and Exo-Terra now that are specifically designed for people who want 1/4 - 1/2 water in their enclosures and have a pretty decent filtration system in them. My friend uses some of them for his tropical frogs and Caiman Lizard (different enclosures).

Not the biggest contribution, sorry, I'm sure you'll get more solid answers from the others, lol.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
I saw a few kits and thought about buying them but I'm not sure. Most of them were like 120-170. Debating on attempting to build something, but I'm sure it wouldn't look very good. I haven't really found any good information as to the risks/benefits of 50/50 water/land for my lizards. The anoles can swim as far as I know but do not like to. No idea about geckos or skinks.

By the way, the gecko and anoles seem to actually like eachother. The anoles rest on top of the gecko and the gecko doesnt seem to care. The gecko will do the same to them. They show no stress or aggression so I'm happy. My anoles eat and act just like normal. The gecko seems to be fine but it is to early to tell for sure. Haven't seen him eat yet but I am home for about 4 hours before I go to bed, so there is a fair chance he eats lol.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
03202012063.jpg03202012064.jpg03202012065.jpg03202012068.jpg03202012069.jpg

03202012063.jpg

03202012064.jpg

03202012065.jpg

03202012068.jpg

03202012069.jpg

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I saw a few kits and thought about buying them but I'm not sure. Most of them were like 120-170. Debating on attempting to build something, but I'm sure it wouldn't look very good. I haven't really found any good information as to the risks/benefits of 50/50 water/land for my lizards. The anoles can swim as far as I know but do not like to. No idea about geckos or skinks.

By the way, the gecko and anoles seem to actually like eachother. The anoles rest on top of the gecko and the gecko doesnt seem to care. The gecko will do the same to them. They show no stress or aggression so I'm happy. My anoles eat and act just like normal. The gecko seems to be fine but it is to early to tell for sure. Haven't seen him eat yet but I am home for about 4 hours before I go to bed, so there is a fair chance he eats lol.
Whilst your tank may have worked, there is no such thing as geckos and anoles liking each other. Such a conclusion is a very ridiculous one, reflecting a lack of understanding of the reptilian psyche. In terms of these two species, they do not have the mental capacity to process liking.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
And I assume you're a biologist who has spent years researching the brains of smaller reptile species? They have a four foot tank to explore but they always stay together. The anoles follow the gecko to the water dish and food dish. And the gecko follows the anoles into the plants to sleep. Perhaps it isn't "liking" but they definitely prefer to stay close to each other. So i would call that "liking" each other. perhaps not in the same sense that we understand the notion, but they have the opportunity to be seperate and they never are. So do not try to be condescending and tell me I'm completely wrong.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
And I assume you're a biologist who has spent years researching the brains of smaller reptile species? They have a four foot tank to explore but they always stay together. The anoles follow the gecko to the water dish and food dish. And the gecko follows the anoles into the plants to sleep. Perhaps it isn't "liking" but they definitely prefer to stay close to each other. So i would call that "liking" each other. perhaps not in the same sense that we understand the notion, but they have the opportunity to be seperate and they never are. So do not try to be condescending and tell me I'm completely wrong.
All of the opportunities noted where mixed tanks fail and your tank just happens to work. Have you ever placed any thought as to what that means?

Not to mention if you extrapolate the mental state of a human species and compare it to a microbe. What does that tell you of the process of evolution and your brain?

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
I love people who place there intelligence above others. It's hilarious.

Marcel_h

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
The Netherlands
This combo may work for a while, but the green water dragon will eventualy become big enough to eat the anoles Also the water dragon would like an water area large enough too swim/submerge himself.

My experience with red eyes is that the prefer much lower temperatures and a higher humidity as the other species in the tank also they are timid/shy and can be troublesome to get them to eat decent. I have no idea what the temperature and humidity in the tank is ofcourse.

This post was intended as constructive criticsm.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
All of the opportunities noted where mixed tanks fail and your tank just happens to work. Have you ever placed any thought as to what that means?

Not to mention if you extrapolate the mental state of a human species and compare it to a microbe. What does that tell you of the process of evolution and your brain?
hmm, ever put any thought into personality? It might not typically work but thats not to say there are no docile personalities out there. I think its going too far to compare the reptilian brain to the mental capacity of a microbe. Just because the human species developed the capacity to verbally express feelings and thoughts does not mean we are the only species to have such thoughts/emotions

Younglin, I love what your tank is starting to turn into, keep us posted with how things are going

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store