Monster Eater!!!

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
i like the black and white pic nice touch makes him look even cooler nice fish good luck :)

ani-mal-lvr

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
NAWTHWOODS, WI.
demjor19;1612888; said:
nice fish. you should try working some prepared foods into his diet and forget the feeder fish...this will help ensure his health. feeders can be fun to watch, but defenitely isnt the best staple diet.
demjor19;1615087; said:
maybe for most noob gar keepers.

i guess getting them on prepared food is something that comes with experience. :D

it is fun to watch them hunt live prey, but most feeders are very unhealthy for them to eat.
demjor19;1615967; said:
after they are fed prepared foods for long enough they treat it almost the same as a hunt. mine are extremely aggressive towards raw shrimp. to each his own i guess.

All very good points. I have 4 Gars, and consider myself lucky that they eat prepared foods.
Great lookin Gar!!! Be a shame to lose him to a bad feeder.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
ani-mal-lvr;1618753; said:

All very good points. I have 4 Gars, and consider myself lucky that they eat prepared foods.
Great lookin Gar!!! Be a shame to lose him to a bad feeder.
with any level of dedication i am confident that all gar can be transitioned over to prepared foods. most people who say they cant do it just dont care enough or take the time and try. every gar i have ever owned has taken prepared foods...some being more work than others.

downsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2008
Philippines
Well here's another reason why I think prepared food should be given. When giving my gar feeders, it darts itself to the feeder and when he misses it's the glass that he hits and hits it hard which may cause injury to the fish.

So I'm just gonna release my feeders on our pond and see what happens.

downsouth out!!!!

rednhot

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Ca, USA
i guess in the wild god gives them prepared foods too right? live fish is what nature intended these fish to eat!!! can you argue that? people that keep these fish have a responsibility to them to keep them as natural as possible, because natural is healthy. after god knows how many 100's of thousands of years of evolution you think you can improve its health/diet with your blend of prepared foods...hhahahaha.

rednhot

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Ca, USA
if you ask a tiger in a cage if he'd rather be flea bitten and hunting deer or healthier than ever but knawing on "prepared foods" he'd answer you by biting your head off.
maybe you'll get his point!...maybe...

rednhot

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Ca, USA
death by accident is a fact of life. we are to keep and observe life in our tanks, not preserve a specimen. might as well put it in fermeldahyde(bad spelling).

rednhot

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Ca, USA
i've fed my gars a wide variety of live foods and on occasion a big crayfish puts up a good fight and scares me by almost maiming my gars, or a frog blows up in mid swallow and presents a difficult meal but such is life and such is the life of gars!

rednhot

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Ca, USA
i don't mean to flame any one person just those that give prepared foods becuase of cost. if you cant afford to keep them...dont!

rednhot

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Ca, USA
please dont ban me for my radical ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store