Monster in progress

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Bit did you introduce it at a small size and kept doing it till he ate it or?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Pretty much. He was a very picky eater. First he would only touch blood worms then red wigglers. Next up was earthworms and then ghost shrimp. One day was feeding others in the tank and he ate a piece, the rest is history.

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
Pretty much. He was a very picky eater. First he would only touch blood worms then red wigglers. Next up was earthworms and then ghost shrimp. One day was feeding others in the tank and he ate a piece, the rest is history.
So you got lucky :)
I think I'm going to start him on small bite sizes for him,I do recall my tire track eating shrimp and guppies at 6"
You think both eels would get along in the same tank?

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
So you got lucky :)
I think I'm going to start him on small bite sizes for him,I do recall my tire track eating shrimp and guppies at 6"
You think both eels would get along in the same tank?

I did for a while when small but ended up losing the TT. A lot of people say two eels will fight but I've seen a lot of videos of muliple eels doing well so I would say a solid maybe. The size of the tank, number of hiding spots, other tank mates will all play into it. My fire eel also never had an interest in feeder fish so I don't feed. May help with aggression later. The only issue I ever had was when the ghost knife lived in there. He was insistent on sharing the same hiding spot and they would occasionally wrestle.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I "free feed" my eels live blackworms until they are big enough to take nightcrawler chuncks ( about 10" or so) by that meaning I get anywhere from a few "portions" to 1/4lb and add it to the tank everyweek. I add as much as it takes for them to be gone by the end of the week ( or appear to be gone) then add more... They grow extreamely fast and sleek. Once large enough I start adding nightcrawlers cut-up into 1/4s daily, and cut back on the blackworms until they are 100% on nightcrawlers... This is also when I move them from their own tank to one of my "communitys" from there I feed the tank normally.. pellets, frozen foods , ect... and hand-feed the eels their daily portion to ensure they are getting it ( most eels by then are accepting of hand/tong feedings) mine have all picked up frozen foods just by haveing it offered at normal feedings along with their worms. of course as they get bigger the more they eat and this is often when I will see my eels eating newer foods, when hungry but not starved or "fasted" to eat. Once nearing the 18" range ime most species can go days or weeks w/out food. so missing a few days is not anything to worry about, and I do fast my "adult" fish threw the weekends.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store