Monster Jewel Cichlid anyone?

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
Growing up when I was a kid the jewel cichlid in the pet stores were huge. Six inch plus beautiful fish. Now all the ones I see never get large. Anyone know what happened? Is there still a way to get the old style jewel cichlids that get huge?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Growing up when I was a kid the jewel cichlid in the pet stores were huge. Six inch plus beautiful fish. Now all the ones I see never get large. Anyone know what happened? Is there still a way to get the old style jewel cichlids that get huge?
I'm sure they are still available but various factors such as inbreeding, genetics and the ones you seen were adults. I've seen juvenile Jewel cichlid in my lfs. Also different types of Jewel Cichlids that look similar.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
What is the fish in your avatar? The big 6 inch jewels I use to see were never neon or red. They were a pinkish brown color dark with lots of light dots. That is a really cool nutria video also. I wonder if the baby made it without getting killed by someone I hope.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
What is the fish in your avatar?
Paracyprichromis nigripinnis.

The big 6 inch jewels I use to see were never neon or red. They were a pinkish brown color dark with lots of light dots.
In a lot of Hemichromis varieties the males don't show any red if not in breeding colour. The neon just refers to an extended amount of blue spots due to selective breeding.

That is a really cool nutria video also. I wonder if the baby made it without getting killed by someone I hope.
Thanks.
I think they are fine because they don't have many natural enemies here.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Years ago many of the jewel cichlids available were the larger h. bimaculatus, however over time more of the smaller h. Lifalili and h. guttatus became prevalent, especially as they then were bred to produce brighter reds and blues.
Now, finding true bimaculatus is hard.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
Fishman dave in canada is there any place I can still get real H bimaculatus and not the inbred h guttatus?? Jeff Rapps the only place? In the 90s that is when things changed right? A full grown bimaculatus at 6 inches was so beautiful.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I remember as a kid there were thought to be maybe at most, 3 species, H guttalatus (probably bifasciatus), fasciatus and elongates.
Today there are 13 described species, and another half dozen, as yet, undescribed.
Back then fasciatus was available and grew to "almost" a foot, and 5 Star Generals (elongatus) weren't that far behind

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I had some well fed jewel in the old days that reach humongous size, but it is not normal in the wild which rarely exceed 6 inch. I’m not impressed by the large size though unless they can retain the red coloration. Most common red jewel fade to drab olive if they are not dominant or breeding. The Turkana jewel I currently keep are under 4 inch, but mature fish retain the red color at all time.

3372FDA1-A474-493B-8111-5155FA9764DC.jpeg

92803C05-FC39-4E64-BBB5-18FE67ACDF61.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store