Monster shark tank build

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yes, they stay under about 4 feet long. They don't need nearly the swimming space the Black tip reefs will. You could do 3 or 4 without any worries at all in a display the size you are talking about.

Schmid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Mauritius
Ok, quick update, I am trying to set up a meeting with a contractor to renovate the structure of the bar to accommodate the fish tank, as well as a glass company to build it, as far as filtration goes, I am thinking of pumping water from the tank into two swimming pool type filters filled with sand, from there water should pass through a uv filter (150watts enough ?) and into my protein skimmer (hopefully the RK2-25) and then back into the tank. In the tank itself I plan to add around 100 pounds of live rock, with power heads for good current with a substrate of pool filter sand. Does this filtration plan suffice for the tank and 4 wt reef sharks? I am not sure if there is enough biological and mechanical filtration, and if not what else could I do to add or change ? In addition, I am not sure of the turnover the tank should be doing and if I can plumb everything into one loop or if the uv will have to run off a different pump.

sorry this is getting a bit long now........

also so I don't know what brand of pump I should be looking at for this system I need something extremely quite and of good quality.

thank you so much zoo diver, your help is much appreciated, I want to get this setup right the first time. Please let me know if you are ever in Mauritius so that I could return the favor

thanks

Alex Schmid

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Love the idea and can't wait to see it.... I will chime in on your 100lbs of live rock. After adding about 100lbs to my much smaller 1000 gallon setup it is no where near enough. I will need alot more to provide some hiding spots for other fish in the tank.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Love the idea and can't wait to see it.... I will chime in on your 100lbs of live rock. After adding about 100lbs to my much smaller 1000 gallon setup it is no where near enough. I will need alot more to provide some hiding spots for other fish in the tank.
I'm also interested by the 100 lbs as well. That will basically give you enough to have a few small piles in the sand. But it sounds like you aren't planning anything other than a few sharks so no hiding spots needed.

Sounds like a great project!!! Looking forward to results.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Can you explain why $5000 is enough? That protein skimmer alone is $4000. That leaves $1000 for the sand filters, UV, pump, and plumbing supplies.

Also, you recommend the rk2 skimmers but not their sand filters? They have complete package deals with a combo of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
$5000 should be enough to cover the LSS. The trick is to not pay full retail price on the various components.

By sand filter - do you mean the pressurized sand filters or the fluidized sand beds that RK2 makes?

Schmid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Mauritius
So does everything add up in terms of my ideas for filtration, not sure about the size of uv that will be needed as well as the flow a protein skimmer needs and if all the components need to be plumbed into desperate loops or can run together ?

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
I don't want to step on anyones toes here, but I would consider a bead filter over a sand filter
http://207.150.195.88/pages/full_width/112/Sand-Filters

The sand filter as part of the commercial system pack Zoodiver recommended earlier is actually a bead filter, which uses very small floating plastic beads instead of sand. It has a blower which is used during backwashing to breakup the bead pack so less water is used during backwash. Backwash loss is roughly the volume of the container on those.

Having everything plumbed together could be done if it was well thought out, however running two loops may be simpler and easier. The flowrate of the RK2 25PE with a two minute dwell time is 25 gpm. You could have that draw from the sump and feed back to the sump, then have your bead filter draw from the sump and feed back to the tank. This will also give you easy individual control of flowrates. The commercial system pack mentioned earlier has a flowrate of 90gpm and a 150W UV.

I don't design exhibits for a living, so take my post with a grain of salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store