Most Beautiful Cichlids I Have Seen

Bassjedi

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2006
Houston
I recently came back from a fishing trip to the upper Zambezi River in Zambia. While most people there spent all their time trying to catch Tigerfish, I spent a lot of time trying to catch various Cichlid species they have there. One species in particular, which they call the Nembwe (I believe it is Serranochromis robustus), is absolutely stunning. See below for some pics of males and females. Does anyone know if these are available anywhere? I would love to get one for my tank here in Texas. If anyone likes fishing and is interested in a detailed full report, it can be found on my website here: https://www.howtocatchanyfish.com/zambia---floodplain-tigers-and-bream.html

BarotseBigMaleNembweDay6.JPGBartoseNembwe3.jpgBarotseMaleNembwe1.jpgBarotseBigFemaleNembweDay6.jpgBarotseFemaleNembwe5.jpgBarotseFemaleNembwe8.jpg

Here is another cichlid species I caught, which they called a Thin Face Bream:

BarotseThinface.jpg

And I didn't ignore the Tigerfish:

smBarotseBigTiger.jpg

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Beautiful fish! I think it's Serranochromis jallae. S. robustus is naturally from lake Malawi and the Shire river. Though it was distributed a lot by humans I don't think it has reached the Zambesi yet.

The second one should be S. angusticeps.

S. robustus from lake Malawi is sometimes available in US and Europe but I never heard anything from the other species or locations.

EricTheRed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Incredible fish and Photographs! Congratulations on a very successful fishing trip 🎣 I think all those tank busting fish would need to be kept in a pond or a swimming pool sized tank in excess of 1000 gallons.

Reactions: Bassjedi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store