Most common misconceptions of fish?

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
Well, if you believe the way I do, it's mankind a job to take care of our planet, including the plants and animals. All life is worth something

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
A friend of mine just recently posted a pic of a blood Parrott saying RIP just after your 2 month birthday I looked closer and it was in a betta bowl. When I commented on this she promptly deleted my post... The only way to kill a blood Parrott..

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe5639

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
When people overestimate the size of large fish they have never kept or dont have experience such as " dont get an alligator gar they get over 10 feet!"

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
folks that have kept fish for years and still aint got a clue, nor will they listen, more than like my worst pet peeve.

aljar8

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2015
United States
I saw a youtube vid of someone setting up a 2 gal. fishbowl with an undergravel "filter". He put 3-4 rocks on it to weigh it down, and then put in 3 fancy goldfish. He said the filter would keep the water clean because there was carbon in it, and plenty of air, so he could put 3 fish in.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Having previously worked at an LFS I have heard most of these misconceptions, what surprises me is how little people can know about standard biology. My favorite has to be how "shocked" people are when their misconceptions are corrected.

I once had a customer, a middle aged lady asking which of these fish can be put in a bowl. After explaining that bettas are the only fish we have that could be kept in bowls (after explaining that no fish actually should be kept in a bowl), she kept on asking "can I put that one" pointing at several species of other fish.

At last she pointed at the RBP's we had and asked "What type of fish is this?". After my reply she actually got angry because we are keeping dangerous, illegal animals (no fish are illegal here). A couple seconds later she just stormed out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store