most forgiven 'mistake' snakehead to take care?

Crono

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2022
have read the species guide, and the keeping condition.
Gachua, the beginner snakehead.
brought a 3" limbata snakehead to the tank. watch it, all going smooth.
survive a few day. night feed it, it eats the food given. the morning arrives, the snakehead laying upside down, belly exposed.

avoid snakeheads after fail keep them twice (first is maru)...

I recently found out that they're sensitive to ph and salt.
every water change (2 week), always add medicine to the tank even tho they're not sick. (a drop of methylene blue & a pinch of salt)
as for ph, always lower with almond leaves.

can share what's the most forgiven and adaptable snakehead to take care?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm not a snakehead guy; my experience mirrors that of tlindsey tlindsey , i.e. micropeltes is bulletproof. :)

As a general comment...adding "medicine" all the time, even though your fish aren't sick, "just in case", is a bad practice. If you add the same amount of salt each time, and then do only a partial water change, you are gradually increasing the total salt content of the tank over time. And Methylene Blue is great for fungus and some other uses, but if you don't have signs or symptoms, and if you have no reason to suspect illness...why on earth would you be administering it or any other medicine?

Crono

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2022
why on earth would you be administering it or any other medicine?
"just in case" as you word. safe than sorry, and make them adaptable to it. plus kill any unseen bacteria/parasite inside the tank. (it won't kill the beneficial bacteria, no?).
if water is not 'medicated' won't that invite parasites & bacteria into the tank?

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
In a word...no.

Did your doctor remove your appendix and any other potentially troublesome organs just in case? Did your dentist yank out your wisdom teeth without waiting to see if they would be problematic?

You certainly don't want to develop an infection, or diabetes, or high cholesterol...perhaps you should start taking antibiotics, insulin and cholesterol meds daily right now, to ward those problems off?

You don't medicate "just in case". Unnecessary and prolonged exposure to medicines, drugs, chemicals, etc. is at best unnecessary, and at worst could cause problems in and of itself.

Crono

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2022
You don't medicate "just in case". Unnecessary and prolonged exposure to medicines, drugs, chemicals, etc. is at best unnecessary, and at worst could cause problems in and of itself.
Alright2, I'll keep you guys words. do the medicine only when they're sick.

If you add the same amount of salt each time, and then do only a partial water change, you are gradually increasing the total salt content of the tank over time.
how long does salt last after being applied to the tank?

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
how long does salt last after being applied to the tank?
The salt never leaves. It's there for good. If you want to keep a set amount in your tank, you must make certain that when you do a water change, you only add the correct amount of salt for that amount of water.

If, for example, you want your 50-gallon tank to contain 10 ounces of salt to achieve the salinity you want, you gradually add that amount to the tank. But when you go to do a water change, you don't add 10 ounces more; if you change 50% of the water, i.e. 25 gallons, then you add only 5 ounces to replace that which was removed with the old water.

If you keep adding the full amount for the whole tank each time you change only part of the water, your salt content will be constantly increasing, eventually reaching dangerous levels.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Crono

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2022
If, for example, you want your 50-gallon tank to contain 10 ounces of salt to achieve the salinity you want, you gradually add that amount to the tank. But when you go to do a water change, you don't add 10 ounces more; if you change 50% of the water, i.e. 25 gallons, then you add only 5 ounces to replace that which was removed with the old water.

If you keep adding the full amount for the whole tank each time you change only part of the water, your salt content will be constantly increasing, eventually reaching dangerous levels.
that's...
50% water change, a single pinch of between thumb & finger in 15 gallon tank. (around 1 gram always in every tank)
that won't reach dangerous, would it?

but alright, noted. salt will never leave.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
If you add the same amount each time, it will build up to a point at which it stabilizes, i.e. the amount you remove matches the amount you add. With a 50% change each week that level is only about 2 "pinches", whatever that is. The less water you change each time, the higher that stabilization level will be. Might bother some fish, not so much others...why do something so difficult to monitor and uncontrolled as random pinches of salt? It's an aquarium, not a soup kettle. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store