Most weight on second floor

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
It's very well done. Even though it's PIA to do it, it isn't a complicated job, and anyone who places big tank on second floor should think about it. Don't underestimate the weight of a filled tank. Even a 55 can weight 625 lb, according to the chart below.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm

I can sleep better with weight support, but still worry about potential water leak from big tank on upper floor, which is another safety concern one should think hard.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
That may not be necessarily true. There's a lot of specifics missing to make that assumption. Older homes don't have a lot of the up-to code specifications like newer homes, that doesn't meant there is a problem.

Example: I own an older home, built in 1959-1960. The floor joists are 2"x8"s. Generally 2x10s are a minimum by current standards. As time has moved on, appliances have grown and also increased in number. This has lead to increased levels of dead-loading on my floors. There is a significant amount of sag in the floor. Very noticeable just walking around. Some of this is attributed to humidity of the crawlspace versus joist size and weight on the floor, but the rest is primarily due to the heavy stuff in the kitchen.

I've had my floors checked and re-leveled by a professional foundation company, so I know things are good. I even added some extra support for the appliances.

In summation:
Is it defective? No. Would I put a tank on it? Absolutely not. Not even a 29G. All of my tanks stay in the basement.

That's the point being made.. there is no "good" reason for why someone's floors might be sagging. Heck, I'd rather that it be the tank... at least its easy to do something about that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store