Motoro sting ray not interested in new sand bottom tank!!!! Grrr

klutch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
gonzales, Louisiana
I recently put sand in my 280 gallon tank. Was bare bottom, my ray is completely ignoring the sand. He just keeps going up and down the glass. Grrrrr he is the only reason I put sand in the tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Something to be worried about?
Water parameters are good, ammonia is a little high (0.25-0.50)

klutch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
gonzales, Louisiana
What kind of sand did you put in your tank? If it has silicates the sand could be irritating the ray.
Play ground sand from lowes. I cleaned the sand really good. I'm not sure about if it has silicates or not?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
you cannot say parameters good and then ammonia present in the same sentence.

Any ammonia in a ray tank needs to be sorted straight away.....why is there ammonia present. Ammonia should not be in a cycled tank at all.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
Can you see the rays belly? the way you can see if there is irritation is that the belly is red and irritated looking. the problem is that you can't just look at the sand and tell, the silicates is very jagged, you need a nice round soft sand.

klutch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
gonzales, Louisiana
you cannot say parameters good and then ammonia present in the same sentence.

Any ammonia in a ray tank needs to be sorted straight away.....why is there ammonia present. Ammonia should not be in a cycled tank at all.
Um that little ammonia can't be deadly?
Can you see the rays belly? the way you can see if there is irritation is that the belly is red and irritated looking. the problem is that you can't just look at the sand and tell, the silicates is very jagged, you need a nice round soft sand.
not red, it's pink like it has always been. I can't really say if the sand is "soft" but I put the sand in another tank that has a red tail cat and he doesn't seem to mind. But there again, idk :-(

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
He will get use to the sand.. Its kinda common for a ray not to like something new. If it has been use to a bare bottom tank, then you just add sand, he will kinda get stressed over it because its something new.
im not sure how much sand you added, but the best way to add sand to a ray tank this is use to being bare bottom is a little at a time.
Small amounts over a weeks time.
Put in just enough to kinda still see the bare bottom ,but still have sand.
then add in more
then more
cover half the tank with sand, then leave area on the other side low in sand..
Over the next week, slowly flatten it all out to were its all covered..

But since you didnt do that, just give it some time
Keep the lights off to reduce stress.
Maybe shift some of the sand over to the other side and have a bare area, lightly covered for him..
In time, the ray will get use to it..

As far as Ammonia in the tank. Ya, a little wont hurt rt now, but over time, the expos to the ammonia will weaken the health system of the ray and case problems.
Do a 30% to 40% water change.
This will help reduce your ammonia as well as get the ray to the bottom for a few min back on the sand...

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I would think that you are going through a mini cycle seeing that happens from adding a bunch of sand that is in need of the bb. But keep up the water changes and you should be good until it all evens out.

klutch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
gonzales, Louisiana
He will get use to the sand.. Its kinda common for a ray not to like something new. If it has been use to a bare bottom tank, then you just add sand, he will kinda get stressed over it because its something new.
im not sure how much sand you added, but the best way to add sand to a ray tank this is use to being bare bottom is a little at a time.
Small amounts over a weeks time.
Put in just enough to kinda still see the bare bottom ,but still have sand.
then add in more
then more
cover half the tank with sand, then leave area on the other side low in sand..
Over the next week, slowly flatten it all out to were its all covered..

But since you didnt do that, just give it some time
Keep the lights off to reduce stress.
Maybe shift some of the sand over to the other side and have a bare area, lightly covered for him..
In time, the ray will get use to it..

As far as Ammonia in the tank. Ya, a little wont hurt rt now, but over time, the expos to the ammonia will weaken the health system of the ray and case problems.
Do a 30% to 40% water change.
This will help reduce your ammonia as well as get the ray to the bottom for a few min back on the sand...
Thx for the great info, I do 50% water changes weekly. I'll do one now just to be safe
I'll turn the lights off and just wait it out. I wasn't sure how I was suppose to add the sand but I know now for next time.

I would think that you are going through a mini cycle seeing that happens from adding a bunch of sand that is in need of the bb. But keep up the water changes and you should be good until it all evens out.
Yea I was thinking I was going through some type of cycle. I'll definitely keep up w/c, thx

i have the play sand from lowes/home depot in mine as well, the rays are fine on it and have never seen any irritation. yours should be fine.
Good deal, Im glad someone else has this sand in a ray tank. Thx for the info!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store