Motoro's with Frontosa Colony?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I had this combo for quite a while. Worked good in fact. Front's pretty much left the ray alone.

As you can see, the proof is in the pudding. I have 5 fronts in this tank.

DSC_0312.JPG

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
haynchinook334;4835053; said:
I had this combo for quite a while. Worked good in fact. Front's pretty much left the ray alone.

As you can see, the proof is in the pudding. I have 5 fronts in this tank.
Thanks for chiming in! What type of ray is that?

P.S. I replied to your PM, just don't buy them out from under me! ha ha!

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
08trdoffroad;4835076; said:
Thanks for chiming in! What type of ray is that?

P.S. I replied to your PM, just don't buy them out from under me! ha ha!
Haha...I can't buy them (explained in PM). But, that ray is a Retic.... Stubborn lil' poop I tell yah. Had a motoro in that tank as well. Kinda grew faster then I thought.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
No ray for me... :cry: Took the wife and went last night to have a look and most likely leave with one, and guess what....they had sold both rays thirty minutes before I got there....:irked:

Where is haynchinook334....??? :grinno:

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
I couple things from my end having kept and bred Frontosas.... I would highly recommend taking the Frontosas out, rearranging the tank, putting the rays in and then reintroducing the Frontosas. They are very territorial and will establish their own hierarchy within their colony, they will also be very courious with new comers and can potentially peck at your rays and maybe take out an eye. By taking them out you'll change up their world and they'll be too busy re-establishing order to pay any attention to the new ray. Same applies if you add more larger Frontosas. (not necessary with all new fish, just my recommendation for both rays and Frontosas)

And I wouldn't pay $150 for a motoro but that's just geographics of supply and demand.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
House 64;4839383; said:
I couple things from my end having kept and bred Frontosas.... I would highly recommend taking the Frontosas out, rearranging the tank, putting the rays in and then reintroducing the Frontosas. They are very territorial and will establish their own hierarchy within their colony, they will also be very courious with new comers and can potentially peck at your rays and maybe take out an eye. By taking them out you'll change up their world and they'll be too busy re-establishing order to pay any attention to the new ray. Same applies if you add more larger Frontosas. (not necessary with all new fish, just my recommendation for both rays and Frontosas)
demand.
Have to agree with this!

I do not and have not kept fronts with rays but I have kept both. I feel that the water is fine for them and give them space.

I have to say that my personal opinion is to keep rays as the only species in the tank or as the main species, it saves on risking them.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
08trdoffroad;4837424; said:
No ray for me... :cry: Took the wife and went last night to have a look and most likely leave with one, and guess what....they had sold both rays thirty minutes before I got there....:irked:

Where is haynchinook334....??? :grinno:
Awe...man.:( Wouldn't to that to you. But, the girly did go down there to check them out. They had one male and a female. The girly did pick the girl up though...not the boy.

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
i have done this combo with a couple types of rays and its one of the best combo i think

dparks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
This is my frontosa tank, I added the male marble early last year. The combination is simply amazing, its a 180 gallon

the stock on the tank is four female moba and two male which are the ones pictured. The marble motoro is around 10-11 inches. Thier are a handfull of other tankmates but these are the most important in this thread.

IMAG0159.jpg

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
haynchinook334;4853709; said:
Awe...man.:( Wouldn't to that to you. But, the girly did go down there to check them out. They had one male and a female. The girly did pick the girl up though...not the boy.
It was a bummer, I drug my wife all the way there with me to show her and hopefully take the male home. Got there and couldn't even show her one in person. The sales guy was very helpful. He said they can order them in and they cost less if you buy them in the bag because they don't have to house it or feed them so they pass the savings on. So I will probably end up ordered a Marble from them in the future, or wait to see if they get any more in the next little while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store