Mouth rot/ mouth fungus

Sarkis

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
Ontario Canada
Hey guys I'm in need of some good medication to fix this mouth rot/mouth fungus issue. I have it in my 90 gallon tank where all my expensive cichlids are. Any help would be great. Would melafix work?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

f22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
I just had the same issue... we call it montizuma revenge :) its nasty and can take out a tank quickly...

I used Kent Poly Ox, which is actually made to clear up cloudy water. The reason it worked so well for me is because the active ingredient is Potassium Permaganate (which is a nasty oxidizer) if over dosed the stuff is more lethal than chlorine to fish, but it worked really well and resolved the issue in less than a week.

I would wager you can buy potassium permagonate crystals online from a pond supply company.

Sarkis

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
Ontario Canada
I just had the same issue... we call it montizuma revenge :) its nasty and can take out a tank quickly...

I used Kent Poly Ox, which is actually made to clear up cloudy water. The reason it worked so well for me is because the active ingredient is Potassium Permaganate (which is a nasty oxidizer) if over dosed the stuff is more lethal than chlorine to fish, but it worked really well and resolved the issue in less than a week.

I would wager you can buy potassium permagonate crystals online from a pond supply company.
Thanks for the helpful advice. I hVe lost alot of fish to these infection. It's a tuff one to get rid of.

El Piranha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2012
Chicago, IL
I know melafix works great..
1) 25% water change
2) 1 tsp of salt every 5gls
3) remove carbon pads slice them to remove carbon rocks then put back pads.
4) add melafix everyday for seven days or more if needed..
5) when done do another 25% water change.
6) finally purchase new carbon pads and put them inn..

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
Melafix is for Bacterial issues and Primafix is for fungal issues. I would suggest using primafix and epsom salts for this. You can use Melafix afterwards to help with the healing left from the fungus. Also if this is a reoccurring issue you may need to clean everything in your fish room. That includes: Buckets, Nets, airlines, decor, cleaning equipment, filter housings, hoods and everything that has or does make contact with water in your tank. I soak that stuff overnight in colorox water then rinse clean. Do not soak sponges, they can dissolve in the solution. Personally I throw away the substrate but I use Pool Filter sand and it is $8 for 50#'s. When cleaning the tank remember to clean under the top, that is missed allot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store