Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Moving my 170gal six feet to the left

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by desertmusky, Mar 24, 2012.

1. desertmusky

desertmusky New Member

Apr 1, 2012
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to move my tank literally six feet to the left. It is a 170 gal glass tank on a wooden stand. Most advice is to empty the tank as to not affect or damage the structure of the tank and seals. If there is easier way than draining it and also easier on the fish stress wise please advise.

2. fishe

fishe MFK Members

Nov 29, 2013
      Empty as much as ur fish can handle.... Lots of people

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

3. Andrew1002

Andrew1002 MFK Members

Andrew
      Jun 17, 2015
      What I would do depending on the size of your fish I would buy a bunch of 5 gallon buckets for like $2 each and i would drain alot of the aquarium water into them then I would leave 20% of the water and take the tank off the stand. It's huge So I would get a couple large men or something and then just move the stand then tank. Fill it back up then re insert fish. But a 180 glass should weigh around 400 pounds with substrate. Correct? So you would definitely need help unless you are one of those huge body builder. Lol but good luck and if you can for aeration I would just throw In a ton of anachris or some aerator plant for the fish in the buckets. Just some thoughts. :) good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4. PDRed302

PDRed302 MFK Members

Ray
      May 2, 2015
      Honestly I'd remove the fish, plastic containers from home depot/lowes are cheap and can always be used for storage later. I'd drain my tank water into as many containers as I needed to hold my stock, then drain the tank all the way down until just my substrate was covered, to keep the bb alive. If your filter can hold water during the move, that would he beneficial as well, if not, you can always transfer your media into a container of tank water.

In the long run it may take you a little longer to do it this way but the tank will be easier to move and you won't be running as high of a risk of breaking your aquarium.

5. arodini

arodini MFK Members

nate
      Jul 20, 2015
      I'm afraid that there is no other way but draining the tank. I would never want to this size/type of tank with more than 10" of water in it; when you carry the tank with water in it, the water will rock back and forth and make it harder to move. The fish can handle the stress if it's done right.

Get two large trash containers (45g-55g) and a pump. Drain about 90g of tank water to the containers, then move your fish there and set up all you equipments (filters and air) on the containers. Empty the tank, move it, then pump the water and move the fish back to the tank. The fish will be fine in the containers with filtration and air supply so you can take your time moving the tank. That was what I did when I swapped my tanks. Good luck.

6. aquaponicpaw

aquaponicpaw MFK Members

Jun 12, 2015
      Purchase some of those dollies used to move cars around. Drain enough water to prevent sloshing. Jack up each end carefully. Place dollies. Roll into place.

@aquaponicpaw

7. desertmusky

desertmusky New Member

Apr 1, 2012
      THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR ALL THE SOLID INFO/ADVICE

8. arodini

arodini MFK Members

nate
      Jul 20, 2015
      :popcorn:
      Thanks for the new addition to my vocabularies "slosh".

Although it's a good idea, tank/stand is not the same as cars - we don't have ground clearance to work with. I'd love to know how you would go about jacking up the tank/stand full of water. How/where do you start? :popcorn:

9. chodubhagat

chodubhagat MFK Members

shashanka madan
      Apr 24, 2014
      good luck bro please post pics of ur tank too if u get the time xD