moving my monster silver to a real pond

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
I think unless you've got family feeding it, it'll die.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
classic-chassis;2615037; said:

I think the concern would be with the temp. If the arowana can survive the cooler temps there will be more then enough food for the aro to live.

According to the FWC silver aros are not restricted as other arowana are because of thier inability to survive temperatures under 58 dgrees

http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/Restricted.html#bony-tongue

midnight

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
under a bridge in fl
channarox;2614707; said:
is 10 miles far?LOL.
for him or me?lol
classic-chassis;2615037; said:
he only eats live fish...
djdlemma;2615058; said:
Awww man Midnight. I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you love that aro. There's no alternative? Hopefully things will get better for you. Keep your head up homie.
Posted via Mobile Device
who normally can house an aro? lol
and im hoping it gets better soon
Bderick67;2615653; said:
I think the concern would be with the temp. If the arowana can survive the cooler temps there will be more then enough food for the aro to live.

According to the FWC silver aros are not restricted as other arowana are because of thier inability to survive temperatures under 58 dgrees

http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/Restricted.html#bony-tongue
is it the same with pbass?
cus i have pbass in it to and they been through the cold

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
From the same website I provided before

BUTTERFLY PEACOCK
(Cichla ocellaris)
COMMON NAME - Butterfly peacock, peacock bass
DESCRIPTION - Body shape similar to that of a largemouth bass; color highly variable, but generally golden with three black vertical bars that tend to fade and are possibly absent in older fish; black spot with a yellow-gold halo on the caudal fin.
RANGE - Introduced by FWC in large coastal canals of southeast Florida in 1984; low water temperatures and intolerance of saltwater prevent this species from becoming abundant outside of coastal Miami-Dade and Broward counties. Native range lies within the Amazon River basin of South America.
HABITAT - Successful in warm, slow flowing canals, ponds, lakes, deep rock pits, and lateral canals; frequently found in shady areas around bridges, culverts, canal intersections, bends, dead ends, and near fallen trees; spawns and often feeds in shallow water adjacent shorelines with overhanging vegetation; cannot tolerate water temperatures below 60F or salinities greater than 18 ppt.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i would use the biggest plastic bag you can find to catch him. ask a good LFS to give you a few large bags. put the bag in the tank and guide the aro into the bag. he wont even see the bag so it wont freak him out. then you can put him into the container.

i wouldnt recommend using a towel or sheet, etc. i tried this on a 2ft aro and it was rough, they get hurt pretty bad no matter how cautious you are.

the next time i moved him i used a big plastic bag and i was suprised at how easy it went. not even one splash of water. i know 30" is huge, but i had a large bag that easily fit my 2ft aro; aros are pretty flexible. besides, its just to help you get him out of the tank.

good luck man, post pics during the move!!!

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
midnight;2616100; said:
nice
now
will he survive the swap from tap water to pond water?
maybe aclimate when i get him to the pond?
i want to start aclimating him in the tank but very hard to do for me

this should be the best thing and ideal step before moving him. try and turn off the heating of the tank for sometimes during the day as well. i hope he makes the switch. good luck.

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
midnight;2613721; said:
yup midnight "had" it all and now has nothing at all..... :(
what happened?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store