Musk turtle community tank questions

bigbenb

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
florida
I have had a loggerhead musk turtle for the last 3 years. I have moved him from tank to tank and he has been fine with all tankmates. There is no way that the jack dempseys will hurt him. I would bet money on it. My musk has been a little food aggressive at times, but has never done any serious harm to any other tank mates. Also, musk turtles are not very good swimmers. They usually will walk on the bottom of the tank and occasionally come up for air.

I have a basking spot for my turtle, but I have never once seen him actually using it. I have only seen him out of the water about 3 times since I have had him. Overall, they do very well with fish and I would not be afraid to add him to the tank. The only possible harm that could come would be if one of the fish tried to take food from it. In that case, the turtle may bite the fish out of food aggression. I would put the turtle in the tank and monitor it. The jack dempseys may go after him, but they will not be able to do any serious damage.

bigbenb

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
florida
Also, I dont know what you are feeding your turtle, but I would suggest sinking pellets. My turtle will only eat sinking foods because he spends all his time at the bottom of the tank.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I added the baby musk turtle today. It's been a little over a hour and so far so good. All of the fish poked at him to see what it was I guess, but after that no one is showing much interest in him. The turtle knows how to get to the surface so hopefully this will work out so I can shut my daughters 20 gallon down

Sent from my SCH-R970C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
2 a male and a female and a few barbs and tetras

Two JD for a 60 is overstocked especially with a musk. And having a basking area will bring the water down. This will be very overstocked. Bad idea in my opinion

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
A pair of jack dempsey's will be just fine in a 60 gallon. I have a floating basking rock. I didn't have to lower the water because I have an open canopy.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
A pair of jack dempsey's will be just fine in a 60 gallon. I have a floating basking rock. I didn't have to lower the water because I have an open canopy.

So your saying a pair of cichlids that can get over 8 inches can go in a 60 gallon! As they are male/female the can pair wich would be unfair on territory. For a pair I'd say a 90. After I am not going to be posting on this thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store