Musk turtle lighting

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
Im pretty sure im going to get a stinkpot/musk turtle in the near future. Ive been looking at lighting/heating and am just confusing myself somehow. And now I just read in an above sticky that musks don't need supplemental UVA/B.
So, does a musk need a UVA/B light? I live in Florida, and our house is kept at 73 year round. Will it need a 24/hr heat lamp for basking if it so chooses?
I was looking at the zoo med dual dome fixtures using a UVB and heat lamp, but if it wont need supplemental UVA/B, would a single CHE bulb be sufficient? he wouldn't get any natural light.

If its recommended to have UVA/B available, would a single reptisun 5.0 and a small CHE in the dual dome fixture work?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
So for starters, there's a difference between UVA and UVB lighting. UVB is required for the majority of turtle species, as well as some other reptiles (I know most lizards need it as well but I don't know about snakes). UVB helps turtles create Vitamin D3, which helps them absorb calcium (a very important mineral for turtles). D3 can be provided in a turtle's diet, but in the long run it's better for them to get it from UVB lighting. However, certain kinds of turtles have adapted to have alternative ways of getting their D3, such as muds and musks, mata matas, and some say snappers as well.
UVA light, contrary to what a lot of pet stores will tell you, is not necessarily essential for the health of turtles. However, it is said to promote natural behavior and make them more comfortable in their environment (supposedly because in nature, the sun gives off UVA as well as UVB).
Most heat bulbs for reptiles are labelled with UVA. But UVA does not serve as a substitute for UVB. I've never seen a heat & UVB bulb combined in one like UVA.
Although muds and musks don't necessarily need UVB, I have heard from some keepers that it can still be beneficial. So if you were to get a heat bulb as well as a fluorescent bulb, you might as well make the fluorescent a UVB bulb.
Muds and musks don't typically bask, but a basking spot should be provided in case they want to. It's typically recommended with turtles that are known to bask frequently that you have one heated basking spot and one room-temperature so they can thermoregulate. However, in your case you could probably get by with just one unheated basking spot (if you start to see them bask frequently I would add another that's heated... 70s is not going to cut it when a turtle wants to warm up out of the water).

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So for starters, there's a difference between UVA and UVB lighting. UVB is required for the majority of turtle species, as well as some other reptiles (I know most lizards need it as well but I don't know about snakes). UVB helps turtles create Vitamin D3, which helps them absorb calcium (a very important mineral for turtles). D3 can be provided in a turtle's diet, but in the long run it's better for them to get it from UVB lighting. However, certain kinds of turtles have adapted to have alternative ways of getting their D3, such as muds and musks, mata matas, and some say snappers as well.
UVA light, contrary to what a lot of pet stores will tell you, is not necessarily essential for the health of turtles. However, it is said to promote natural behavior and make them more comfortable in their environment (supposedly because in nature, the sun gives off UVA as well as UVB).
Most heat bulbs for reptiles are labelled with UVA. But UVA does not serve as a substitute for UVB. I've never seen a heat & UVB bulb combined in one like UVA.
Although muds and musks don't necessarily need UVB, I have heard from some keepers that it can still be beneficial. So if you were to get a heat bulb as well as a fluorescent bulb, you might as well make the fluorescent a UVB bulb.
Muds and musks don't typically bask, but a basking spot should be provided in case they want to. It's typically recommended with turtles that are known to bask frequently that you have one heated basking spot and one room-temperature so they can thermoregulate. However, in your case you could probably get by with just one unheated basking spot (if you start to see them bask frequently I would add another that's heated... 70s is not going to cut it when a turtle wants to warm up out of the water).
D3 can cant be processed without UVB lighting in Diurnal animals. Regardless how or where they get it from , UVB is still required to process it. Therefore, you can give them all the D3 in the world and it will be useless without UVB to utilize it and will still end up w/ Calcium deficiency and/or MBD.

They are nocturnal during hot summer months, but primarily diurnal so a UVB will do them well. Stick with a UVB AND a UVA for them

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
U need uvb light period.
I r comend razorback musk turtles cuz they usually won't kill your fish.

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
So in the dual fixture I mentioned, id stick with the reptisun for the UVB, what should the heat source be?
CHEs would be ideal since it gives on no visible light, and want the area dark at night, but they dont give off UVA. Suggestions?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So in the dual fixture I mentioned, id stick with the reptisun for the UVB, what should the heat source be?
CHEs would be ideal since it gives on no visible light, and want the area dark at night, but they dont give off UVA. Suggestions?
not sure how many bulbs it holds, but Ceramic would be fine as would a Black Light or Infrared. I have a rectangular 24" Fxture that has a spot for a T-5/T-8 strip light and then 2 spots for standard universal bulbs you can screw any bulb into so I kept a black/infrared in one side for nighttime and regular daytime bulb in the other and just turned 2 of the 3 switches off at night - but your daytime temps in the tank will determine whether you need to keep the nighttime bulb on 24/7 or just at night

Reactions: Imsobored152
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store