MUST READ - The Gar CAPTIVE CARE Guide

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;4770419; said:
even if the sections are repetitive, i would still keep them separate. it would be important to identify them as two separate species. if the sections are lumped together it will just contribute/perpetuate the idea that they are the same. wild specimens do show drastic differences (relatively speaking) between species, but less so in captive specimens (it will be interesting to see how the spots from our project that have gone out to MFK members progress morphologically as they age, in comparison to FLG's).

just my two cents on the issue :) --
--solomon
got it, how's that spotted gar report coming along? can't wait to read it! i still have less than no clue what the differences between spotted & florida are:irked:! (asides from the basic morphological difference, and even then, im still iffy).

ps: wanted to ask, is your dissertation the same as the spotted gar work?

reGARding your second post...we've heard that before! hahaha

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;4770452; said:
got it, how's that spotted gar report coming along? can't wait to read it! i still have less than no clue what the differences between spotted & florida are:irked:! (asides from the basic morphological difference, and even then, im still iffy).

ps: wanted to ask, is your dissertation the same as the spotted gar work?

reGARding your second post...we've heard that before! hahaha
dissertation title (working title overall, individual chapters also have working titles) is:
"Ecology, biogeography, and conservation of the spotted gar (Lepisosteus oculatus) in Michigan"
the main theme is the conservation of peripheral populations of species (essentially at the edge of their range), and emphasizing interpopulation differences, primarily core vs peripheral pops. that's about as much as i can summarize briefly...will be sure and post a link to the overall document when it's done (which will hopefully be within my lifetime :irked:) --
--solomon

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
xander;4770188; said:
what do you guys think of this..?

im thinking of merging the florida gar & spotted gar sections since their captive requirements seem to be mostly similiar. to highlight the difference/s between both species, we'll open a different thread to elaborate on the topic.
I'm going to double on Solomon's post to give this a big thumbs down.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
xander;4770188; said:
what do you guys think of this..?

im thinking of merging the florida gar & spotted gar sections since their captive requirements seem to be mostly similiar. to highlight the difference/s between both species, we'll open a different thread to elaborate on the topic.
I just PMed you both the spotted gar guide and the shortnose gar guide.

Both guides need pictures and could use some additions from the experts on those specific species of gar, but all the major details should be there.

If you want, I'll put something together for the genus Lepisosteus (that is, when I get around to it).

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
I cant find this thread in the gar forum what happened?

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
okay I guess i wasn't looking hard enough. :)

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Great read, lots of good info. I have a 8 inch florida gar that I had to take out of my 4 foot and put in my 6 foot tank. (Due to number of tank restraints I have) I am very worried it will break its back.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
since it's all but done (save spotted gar), i've decided to stick it for now. NEED FEEDBACK, COMMENTS AND CRITICISM guys, don't be afraid to hold back. huge bump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store